Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mcody
Frequent Visitor

Streaming Dashboard Tiles - formatting

Hi,

Hope I have correct forum, if not please redirect me.

Power BI Pro.

Have a dashboard, direct query (from On-premises MS SQL). Updating as per scheduled refresh (15 minutes)

Customer would like faster refresh.

Do not have premium, so using REST API would subject to limit: 8 refreshes per day, correct?

So tried Streaming dataset, with periodic Powershell script to update a Streaming dataset.

Works.

However Streaming Dashboard Tiles formatting is fixed. Anyway to alter formatting? Programmatically even.

In particular, Display Units, colors on Streaming Gauge Tile? Or are these Dashboard Tiles visualization settings fixed?

Other solutions/suggestions welcome also.

Any help appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@mcody,

However Streaming Dashboard Tiles formatting is fixed. Anyway to alter formatting? 

With a streaming dataset, there is no underlying database, so you cannot build report visuals using the data that flows in from the stream. As such, we cannot make use of report functionality such as filtering, custom visuals, and other report functions.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
cmitra
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a streaming data set from Adobe Analytics and saw your comment on '

So tried Streaming dataset, with periodic Powershell script to update a Streaming dataset.

Works.' - How you did that? I have created a streaming dataset and included the values but tile showed up empty in Dashboard 😞 I'm pretty sure I'm missing few things. 

mcody
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Don't know anything about Adobe Analytics, but if you can connect and read AA with script, then should be able to push.

Assume you have Power BI Pro.

Suggest start with one value, get that working and then take it from there.

For initial test you could generate random number in script initially, then add AA connect/read.

Power BI Service:

• Set up Streaming data set.
  • Add field (Number)
  • Copy the dataset URL, you will need for script.
  • When you complete, select Powershell tab to get example "stub" script, copy.
  • Create dashboard
  • Add tile. Select Custom Data Streaming tile. Select dataset, value etc.

Run example script on machine with web access, see if updates tile.

You could add random number write into this script and also, make it repeat periodically using do{ }while(1) construct + sleep or something similar. Confirm periodic update.

Then finish with real data.

I ran my script (about 12 values), every 2 seconds. Worked fine, script on same machine as MS SQL source

Some points on Streaming tiles.

• Push is subject to constaints. 5 request/s. Check Power BI website for details.
  • Limited to few choices of tile types
  • Cannot do much formatting of tiles
  • Cannot have alerts on streaming data
  • Cannot do any DAX functions etc in Power Bi on streaming data, so must do any calculations before pushing.

If using Powershell, recommend you use ISE Powershell app, and write out values to console. Helps with debug/test

If going to use this in "production" after test. Then you might want to set up script to start automatically and run in background.

Or maybe even better, write final version in Visual Studio, compile and run as a service.

Lots of material out there to help you.

Two articles I found useful (kudos to authors):

http://blogs.adatis.co.uk/sachatomey/post/2017/01/19/Power-BI-Streaming-Datasets-An-Alternative-Powe...

https://chris.koester.io/index.php/2017/11/05/push-data-into-power-bi-streaming-datasets-with-csharp...

If you stuck, perhaps I could help you with an example script using your Dataset Push URL, but I am no expert!

Give some feedback on your progress.

Thanks !! The links are very helpful and I tried testing the script with dummy values, repeat and sleep. It worked and updates the tile with default value.

Found another link for similar information

https://blog.ukotic.net/2017/02/27/streaming-datasets-powershell-powercli-power-bi/

But when I was trying to get the values, I got

Invoke-RestMethod : The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found

I have used the Endpoint URL and Eventsource ( Report Suite Id from Adobe). Not sure what else missing...

Thanks,

Chaitali

mcody
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I don't recall getting any 404 errors.

You double checked your dataset API URL, values and types?

If you want, sent me your dataset URL and name/type of a test value. I try my test script on it.

Here is the endpoint url https://api.powerbi.com/beta/b7f604a0-00a9-4188-9248-42f3a5aac2e9/datasets/9120ef44-dcb3-497c-88e1-9...

I'm using couple values from Adobe reports itself for testing and types very likely correct.

"Push Notifications Click" , number

"JFU $ Ads Clipped", number

"Visits", number

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@mcody,

However Streaming Dashboard Tiles formatting is fixed. Anyway to alter formatting? 

With a streaming dataset, there is no underlying database, so you cannot build report visuals using the data that flows in from the stream. As such, we cannot make use of report functionality such as filtering, custom visuals, and other report functions.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors