Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

willpage
Helper II
Helper II

Strange error while refreshing a Dataflow

This morning I have experienced multiple Dataflow refresh errors. The error is the same in all Dataflows and it is repeatable upon manual refresh.:

Error: Can't convert 9 to proper M credential Type

The dataflows all connect to the same on-prem SQL server using Windows AD authentication.

The On Prem gateway shows all OK:

willpage_0-1620948720225.png

Also I can edit the dataflow and sucessfully add new queries to it. The fault only occurs on refresh of the dataflow.

No changes have been made to these dataflows since the last successful refresh and the password for the user account has not changed.

Any ideas what could be causing this? The error message has 0 results in Google.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Folks, the only seems to affect SQL based sources (ours are MS SQL) . This is what we did .... I don't like it, but as a workaround it may be OK:

1. upgrade to the latest version of (May 2021) of the gateway
  2. Get a Gateway Administrator to take over the dataflows and refresh them. It did work for us; OR
  3. Add the dataflow owners as Gateway Admins and refresh the dataflows

Neither of these options is ideal, if you have  a lot of dataflows , getting an admin to take them over is a lot of work. Similarly, adding dataflow owners as Gateway Admins may be exposing you from a security perspective etc.

However, to get your dataflows up and running again and keeping your users happy, it is a suitable workaround short term.

I was told by Microsoft Support Team (Mindtree in India) that this is expected behaviour (dataflow owner has to be gateway admin to refresh). I challenged them on this statement as I am not aware of any changes in this area ! 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

We also started getting this error last week around May14th and based on other comments we just upgraded to the May 2021 gateway and this has resolved the issue.

I'm not sure the last time we upgraded the gateway but I know it was sometime this year so we were on a fairly newer version of the gateway. 

Link to the May 2021 gateway post:
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/on-premises-data-gateway-may-2021-update-is-now-available/

ViniNaegele
Frequent Visitor

Samething from here, I can edit entities but cant refresh.

Error: Can't convert 9 to proper M credential Type 

Matsmen
Regular Visitor

I also solved the problem by upgrading the gateway from November 2020 version to the last one.

Sina
Frequent Visitor

The same error is happening for all our Data Flows as well, we have connections to ORACLE and SAP instances. 

Any solutions from Microsoft team or anyone else who has solved the issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I worked with Microsoft support and installed the May 2021 on premise gateway.  I was running the November 2020 version.  All my sql data flows are now running.

This was the case with me as well, thank you

csmith_enpro
Advocate I
Advocate I

Encountering this error as well, just started occurring this morning. I'm also able to create new dataflows, but can't refresh anything.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've raised a ticket with Microsoft, will provide any updates here

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing here.  I have tried creating a new data source in the gateway and creating a brand new dataflow.  Both attempts did not address the issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Folks, the only seems to affect SQL based sources (ours are MS SQL) . This is what we did .... I don't like it, but as a workaround it may be OK:

1. upgrade to the latest version of (May 2021) of the gateway
  2. Get a Gateway Administrator to take over the dataflows and refresh them. It did work for us; OR
  3. Add the dataflow owners as Gateway Admins and refresh the dataflows

Neither of these options is ideal, if you have  a lot of dataflows , getting an admin to take them over is a lot of work. Similarly, adding dataflow owners as Gateway Admins may be exposing you from a security perspective etc.

However, to get your dataflows up and running again and keeping your users happy, it is a suitable workaround short term.

I was told by Microsoft Support Team (Mindtree in India) that this is expected behaviour (dataflow owner has to be gateway admin to refresh). I challenged them on this statement as I am not aware of any changes in this area ! 

Thank you for the response, so they weren't able to tell you the actual source of this problem?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Not yet ... no root cause which is annoying. They did say "it was a known issue" and was fixed yesterday, but clearly is isn't fixed

I fixed the issue by updating the gateway! Thank you

joelwk
Regular Visitor

I'm getting the same error as well and the flows are connecting to a SQL DB as well. I get the error about 36 seconds into the refresh.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah - we're having the same issue !!

Matsmen
Regular Visitor

I have the exact same error since this night. All my flows connecting to a SQL DB are failing with this error. BUt I am able to edit them without any errors.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors