Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

EvanYates
Helper I
Helper I

Strange behaviour in Matrix Visualisation

I have a list of Sample IDs with their Testing Status. When I try to summarise them using a Matrix, an extra line gets added over what I believe I should see. If I drop a couple of Cards on the canvas to show me the underlying stats then they agree with what I should see, but the Matrix adds a line I don't think should be there.

Are there any tips for things to look out for that could cause a Matrix to mis-interpret the summary?

Here is my example. 

PowerBICapture.PNG

Card 1 counts the Distinct number of Test Status values. It looks correct at 2.

Card 2 counts the number of Sample IDs. It looks correct at 184.

However although the matrix is looking at the same data, it believes there are three categories of Test Status, two of which have the same name.

Any ideas on how that might happen? The total number of samples is correct so I don't think there is a duplication. The Count Distinct on Test Status is correct at 2 so Power BI seems to think there are only two distinct values. What could cause the matrix to think there are three?

4 REPLIES 4
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @EvanYates,

Based on my test using the Power BI desktop version: 2.64.5285.461 64-bit (November 2018). I cannot reproduce your issue here.

Could you please update your Power BI desktop and try again? If the issue still occur, kindly share your sample data or pbix to me.

matrix.PNG

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Hi @EvanYates,

Has your issue been solved? If so, kindly mark my answer as a solution to close the case. If any other question, feel free to let me know please.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do some data validations on your data in the field Test Status.  You might find that there is 2 varients of how Batched is recorded.  For example maybe you need to trim the records on import.  You might have 'Batched' and 'Batched '

Thanks for your reply. That was my first suspicion as well, but checking the data did not show any variations in Test Status names. The Card visual that does the distinct count on Test Status showed a "2" so other visualizations recognize the data correctly. It just seems to be the Matrix that comes up with "3" Status values (two of which appear to be identical)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors