Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aront
Helper I
Helper I

Storing Power Query M queries in Git?

So I realize many people come to Power BI from the Excel world. But I am sure there are lot's of people coming from the open source world. From our perspective a query is a little program and programs should be managed in a SCCS like Git. That way I can version queries, share them with others who can make changes and import them into whatever report I need them.

Here is another scenario where storing in something like Git is so important: In Excel and O365 you can store power queries in a Power BI site - but that is a disaster. I did it once, my Excel file crashed and I lost 2 hours of query work. I said to myself, great I saved them on O365 I can just reuse them - but of course all I got back was a link to some internal binary. The "original" query is stored in the Excel file but since that file crashed and burned without having a recoverable backup of the lost work - all that work went down the tubes.

I did find this little post online, but the approach seems to require you have the text file in a local directory, so I'm not sure its relevant for published reports on powerbi.com

Anyone have any good ideas besides copy/paste functions into reports?

If not, I will add it as a feture request and anyone interested can upvote it.

6 REPLIES 6
st_0999
Helper II
Helper II

This is a really good idea. 

I have so many queries with so many functions (as M-code), across workbooks. 

If I could maintain the functions in a Git, and just import them into the relevant workbooks, or dataflows (as a query that pulls in another query), it would save so much code duplication. 

For example now, if I have to modify one function, and I have 20 excel workbooks, I have to modify that function 20 times. 

Microsoft already do this for LAMBDAS, and normal excel formulas. I think, they should do it for Power Query and M-Code scripts too.

potyarkin

I too consider it essential to manage any source code with version control system. I was rather disappointed to find out there is no easy way to do so with Power Query.

That's why I have started the LibPQ project: https://github.com/sio/LibPQ/ It enables you to store source code in local files or on the web server, and to load those modules into your workbooks.

I hope you'll find it useful too.

curth
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Please do file this as a feature request. Of course, nothing prevents you from storing code in GitHub and copying it manually into your query -- but this is obviously tedious and error-prone. I personally keep code samples at https://gist.github.com/CurtHagenlocher

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Are you referring to "Send to Data Catalog"?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

When I was talking about the problems I had in Excel - yes I was referring to send to Data Catalog!

And I have opened a request for this feature.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors