Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Store reports in the same workspace as Dataset? Or in a separate "Reports" workspace? Best practice?

Depending on which tutorial I watch, I have seen two variations:

1. Publish reports in a different Workplace than the Main Dataset i.e. they create a new Workspace called "Reports". 

2. Publish reports in the same Workspace as the Dataset. 

The second option seems the easiest for me, as I will be managing about 100 users. I don't want to manage permissions for two workspaces. 

So I'm just wondering, am I breaking any rules by going with the second option?

2 REPLIES 2
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

There is not any breaking rule, just different environments for different business needs. You could consider to choose more manageable option under the premise of meeting business needs. In fact, even if you need to enable another option later because of changes in business requirements, it is quite convenient to do that.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
SusieBentley
Advocate II
Advocate II

You won't be breaking any rules by following this approach and overall it is simpler to administer.

If you are adding users to the workspace, consider the appropriate role so that you can differentiate between those who can have permissions over the datasets and those who can't. And ideally, access for 'end users' should be managed via the App/report sharing rather than via workspace permissions.

However over time you may find that you need to save reports across different workspaces anyway (for example where you want to create an App that includes reports from multiple workspaces for a different audience). The workspace experience is flexible enough that you can make this change when the business requirement arises.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors