Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BigBadBob
Helper I
Helper I

Stop external users distributing a file or viewing relationships

I have created a PBIX file where the data is sourced from an off the shelf external database via ODBC.

A couple of clients have requested to purchase this file but as I have spent a significant amount of time learning the schema, I do not want them to be able to forward to other users outside of my organisation where I will have no control over its distribution. The user of the file must be able to refresh data from the database which is hosted on their server based on the model I have built. To confirm:

• All users will be outside of my organisation and will require the ability to connect to their own data source

• I wish to:

A) retain control of its distribution or completely limit its distribution. B) Stop users from being able to see the existing relationships of tables

• The file data is sourced from is an off the shelf database which stores companies private data accessed via ODBC link I have searched and have not been able to find a solution which works.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions? Big up the power BI Massive!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks Greg

I need to look into this more. Last time i investigated this, from memory, there were numerous restrictions such as you could not include a logo and could not reference to a third party app.

It looks like this has been completely revamped. Are there any security issues from a data perspective for the company using the app?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Template App?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-template-apps-overview

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks Greg

I need to look into this more. Last time i investigated this, from memory, there were numerous restrictions such as you could not include a logo and could not reference to a third party app.

It looks like this has been completely revamped. Are there any security issues from a data perspective for the company using the app?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors