Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MojoGene
Post Patron
Post Patron

Still can't get rid of Personal Gateway

My desktop PBI is correctly connected to a network SQL server with proper credentials. (It also connects to some Excel files, e.g., a Date Table, on the local computer.) I can publish this PBI to my company's PBI service, but I can't refresh it.

I had the Personal Gateway installed, but uninstalled it in the process of troubleshooting this issue. I now have the on site enterprise gateway installed, properly connected to the server/database. In the Manage Gateways section, it says "Online. You are good to go!"

Don't I wish. When I try to refresh the dataset, I have no option to use the enterprise gateway. I get the following:

Screenshot 2016-12-10 13.12.51.jpg

The enterprise gateway is not available and the Data Source Credentials section is grayed out.

There have been many variations on this issue published over the last several months in this forum and a number of them purport to have "Solutions," but after many days of troubleshooting nothing works for me.

Any advice on how I can get my dataset to correctly look to the enterprise gateway would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The most likely culprit is that you don't have a gateway configured for every data source in your workbook. If you have a local file hat is loaded as well as SQL, you need to configure another gateway path for that file. Open get data and look at all sources you have in your model, then make sure each source has a gateway configured. 

MS is aware that the error messages are not helpful to Identify  the cause of the problem, and it is on e list of things to improve. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

The most likely culprit is that you don't have a gateway configured for every data source in your workbook. If you have a local file hat is loaded as well as SQL, you need to configure another gateway path for that file. Open get data and look at all sources you have in your model, then make sure each source has a gateway configured. 

MS is aware that the error messages are not helpful to Identify  the cause of the problem, and it is on e list of things to improve. 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Matt:

Thanks for jumping in here. I have accepted your response as the Solution. Once I mapped each local datasource to the on-premises gateway the gateway showed up in the "Manage Gateways" area and I was able to connect. What confused me was that when I was using the personal gateway I did not need to connect to the local files in this manner. The only connection I needed to set up while using the personal gateway was the connection to the SQL server, which is on a network.

Coincidentally, one of the local Excel files to which my Dataset connects is your excellent date table, for which I also extend my heartfelt thanks.

I feel your pain. I had a similar issue where I was also migrating off the Personal Gateway and had an almost identical experience. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors