Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Status and Future of Connector for Data Lake Gen2

References >>

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform-release-plan/2020wave1/cdm-data-integration/new-enha...

AND

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/April19/business-intelligence/p...

Can anyone shed some lights on what happend with the Connectore for ADLGen2 in Power BI Services which is still in Preview and which is not mentioned in the latest Release notes? ADLS Gen 1 is mentioned - should it say ADLS Gen 2 instead?

It seems like Synapse is the answer to everything based on what was communicated during Ignite 2019. We found the Connector to fit well with regards to securing the end-to-end process consuming data from Data Lake, but we are now very uncertain about the future of the Connector... Will it ever reach GA?

We know that it requires Premium Capacity (Dataflow) and that it would be more suitable for larger Enterprises (also only supports one Connection per tenant in the current impementation).

Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

AFAIK, current power already supports to use the desktop to get data from Azure data lake storage gen2, you can refer to below link to know more about this connector:

Analyze data in Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 by using Power BI 

In addition, you can also use dataflow to link to azure data lake storage gen2. (it configured on the azure side and does not require a premium license)

Please refer to the following document about use dataflow to link to azure data lake storage gen2:

Connect Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 for dataflow storage 

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @v-shex-msft 

I'm aware of the option to Analyze data in Azure Data Lake Storage GEn2 by using Power BI Desktop. But this requires additional work since this connector (connection) is'nt CDM aware (end up with seeing the data in the csv files, but you have to map the column names).

I'm also aware of the article describing Connect Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 for dataflow storage and this is the core of my question. Maybe the term Connector is wrong, but the section Connect your Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 to Power BI is exactly what I'm asking about. After you Configure the connection to your Data Lake Gen2 enabled Azure Storage Account in Power BI Services (requires GA), the Attach an external CDM folder to a new dataflow (Preview) lights up and this is as the name says, CDM aware (understands model.json). After generating the Dataflow, this is directly consumable from Power BI Desktop (Get Data - Power BI Dataflows). This is the feature I'm asking about the GA date for or links to when (if) it will be GA. 

The buty based on my experience is that it allows central administration and access control (Workplaces), but it's quite difficult to discuss this with Customers - we as a Partner are confronted with "it's Preview - when will it be GA" and from there, we struggle...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I have finally got this right 🤐

The Attach an external CDM folder to a new dataflow (Preview) is not related to Connect your Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2 to Power BI - unless You for some reason would like to store and share the Dataflow, in Your ADLGen2 (BYOL). It seems like The Attach an external CDM folder to a new dataflow (Preview), is related to The New Workspace experience in P BI Services.

It maks sense since The Attach an external CDM folder to a new dataflow (Preview) is reading CDM "data" from ADLGen2 (file system) and by default store the Dataflow in P BI Services. 

After this clarification (hopefully), the question should be - When will The Attach an external CDM folder to a new dataflow (Preview) be GA?

HI @Anonymous,

I checked the official blog but haven't found any related article mention this feature was released as GA.
So it means this feature still in preview, maybe you can vote similarly requirements to increase the priory of the release plan.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors