Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jcmedalva
Regular Visitor

Static Shareable Report Link

Hello Folks,

I recently noticed that the report link changes dynamically and I would like to know if there is a possibility to keep the same link permanently or how the link change occurs (what actions cause the change?)

001.png

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @jcmedalva,

If you republish the report to Power BI Service and replace it, the Report URL won't change.

Best Regard,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I would suggest using the App experience to share dashboards and reports.

This link will not change.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi @GilbertQ, thanks for your suggestion.  Could you explain to me how to use App Experience to share from that way?

Hi there

Here is a great blog post explaining how it all works: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/distribute-to-large-audiences-with-power-bi-apps/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Hi, thanks again for your answer!

in blog post explain that external sharing is available since november 2017, but it doesn't work when share app to external user without pro licence.

Currently i share a power bi report to external users (with free license) from different domains using the Report Link embebed in a Web Site. The problem is when report link change, because requires update the link in web site each time update.

Hi @jcmedalva,

With Power BI free license, users don't have the feature of Share.

In other words, if you're the free user, when click Share, you will see the message like below, so you cannot have access to the Report link.

Capture.PNG

If you want to share your reports to others, you could use the feature Publish to web both for Free and Pro users, you'll get the embed code.

However, when you use Publish to web, the report or visual you publish can be viewed by anyone on the Internet. There is no authentication used when viewing these reports, so it's not scurity.

In addition, the report link will change when you delete the report in Power BI Service and publish it again.

Best Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft thanks for your answer.

Related "report link will change when you delete the report in Power BI Service and publish it again", this link change also when refresh report/dataset from Power BI Desktop?

Best Regards, JC

Hi @jcmedalva,

If you republish the report to Power BI Service and replace it, the Report URL won't change.

Best Regard,

Cherry

Anonymous
Not applicable

As a follow up related with this topic. Is it possible to "recover" a link under which a report was once published and then something happened and the link changed?
(I believe what happened is that I delete the dataset and report and then upload it again from zero, as oposed to just replace it)

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors