Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

MarioTechera
Frequent Visitor

Standalone Gateway plus SQL Server and/or SSAS without domain

Hi,

has anyone managed to install the gateway in enterprise mode along with SQL Serve and/or SSAS (Tab/MD) on a single PC/notebook that is not connected to a domain? This would be great for demonstration or development purposes.

Regards,

Mario

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, I have done that, and have found that due to the things I mentioned it is a not so good idea. If you must, get a PC with at least 8 cores,  reserve some of the cores to SQL server,  get at least 16 (better 32) GB of RAM and limit SQL Server to a maximum of 8 GB.  Have 50 GB of free space on drive C at all times - move your swap file and SQL log files to a different drive letter.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

While technically possible and maybe appropriate for rough tests it is something you should avoid at all cost in a production environment.  Gateway and SQL Server will not play well together, and will fight viciously for resources.  Both expect to be the sole resource consumer on that machine, and it will take a lot of effort to make them play nice.

Hi lbendlin,

as I wrote in my original post, I just want to know if it is possible for demonstration or development purposes, and nothing beyond that, of course, definitely not production.

I wanted to know if anyone has aleady done so and if there is anything to look out for?

Cheers,

Mario

Yes, I have done that, and have found that due to the things I mentioned it is a not so good idea. If you must, get a PC with at least 8 cores,  reserve some of the cores to SQL server,  get at least 16 (better 32) GB of RAM and limit SQL Server to a maximum of 8 GB.  Have 50 GB of free space on drive C at all times - move your swap file and SQL log files to a different drive letter.

Thanks lbendlin. That sounds good. My developer PC should be able to handle it for demo purposes. The services don't need to be running the entire time only when I need to showcase them. It is good to know that I can set that up without being part of a domain.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors