Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mra1984
Helper II
Helper II

Sql to powerbi direct query refresh only working on numbere

I have a report and dashboard that refresh via direct query to SQL every 15 minutes.

Only the numbers seem to be update though. So the text, in this case Twitter comments, will not update unless I manually refresh the page. Any ideas? Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Only dashboard tiles are able to auto refresh when there is data that is being refreshed. For reports you need to manually refresh the page.

As far as I am aware this is by design

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Thanks for the reply.  But like I said in the first post, I have done it as a dashboard with live tiles and as a report.  The dashboard will update numbers only but will not update text/tables.  So if you are trying to update live twitter comments which hit my SQL database it doesn't work....

So it's not a live dashboard if it's only for number IMO...

Hi there

What happens if you pin the tables from the table to a dashboard and not pin the report as a live report.

If that works then I would suggest that be the option to move forward. I am not 100% sure why the tables are not auto updating.

Power BI Blog

Yes I saw other people comment that pinning the whole report doesn't work (which is also a shame btw).  But I have been doing it with the individual tiles which also doesn't work.

I challenge anyone reading this, to get a table to update itself on a live dashboard...it simply cannot be done.  So MS PBI is essentially saying the only live dashboard can be numbers only.... great if you happen to manage a local weather station...! 😉  

You could also pin the individual table to the dashboard and put it above the live page which would also work.

Power BI Blog

What do you mean by above the live page?  I have tried pinning a table as a live tile (individually) and it didn't work unless refreshed manually

Thanks        

Hi there

If you pin a table into a dashboard tile, it should refresh based on the refresh schedule you have defined in the dataset settings?

Power BI Blog

Feel like we're going round in circles 😉

All of these are pinned as tiles.  Try it yourself sometime...!  😉

If you have an SQL database linked directly to a live dashboard, all the numbers will update either live (via push method) or every 15 mins via cache refresh.

The table will say it is refreshed in the tile but the data will not actually be refreshed from my experience unless you click refresh on the dashboard.

Hi there

It appears so, the thing is that it does work for me. So not sure why the table is not working.

I dont think it would make a difference but did you try a matrix?

Power BI Blog

I think it's the type of table we are using - I presume yours is fixed?  Mine is table of tweets (see below) so they update with time; meaning the length of the table grows and 'created at' has to be sorted to show the latest.  So when it updates the screen will not update with the latest comments at the top, even though the data is refreshed. 

Capture.JPG

If I take the sorting off then it won't show the latest comments so renders it useless then!  :S  

Thanks for ongoing engagement!

Ahh so it does work if you remove the sorting?

Power BI Blog

I think it does but obviously if you are trying to show the latest tweet or blog post, by not having the ability to sort renders it useless for this purpose

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors