Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jjberrio
Frequent Visitor

Specify connection - Datafow, Gateway on premise

Hi all,

I have a datafow in Power bi service that import a folder (with csv files) from my local machine using the Gateway on-premise standard version. This has been working as a charm until yesterday, where Power Query editor is keeping me asking for 'how to connect', unstopping me from running/editing the query.

I have installed the latest version of the gateway (December).

In my investigation, I have created a new dataflow entity with the windows username & password and it works. I mean, in Power Query I get all the files and run de query normally, and  it creates the data source connection in the gateway configuration.

But, once I save and exit from the Query editor to the workspace and enter again the query editor, I get the message 'Specify how to connect' which it takes me to nowhere, as it does not see the gateway at all and it keeps asking me the same all the time

Any idea o suggestion?

enter credentials.PNG

Specify how to connect.PNG

   tew ay

Data linage.PNG

users.PNG

gateway active.PNG

Data linage.PNG

5 REPLIES 5
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

There is an issue about editing dataflows posted at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/:

Power BI customers editing existing dataflows that use the on-premises gateway client may see the message, "Please specify how to connect". Any changes made will not be saved. Engineers have identified the root cause and a fix is expected to be deployed by end-of-day 02/22/2021

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having the same issue. I should have looked through the recent posts before making mine: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Dataflows-set-up-with-a-gateway-don-t-recognize-the-gateway...

Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue. Dataflow working since a year is working still. But I need to edit and cant save, since it will drop an error about specify how to connect and will ignore the gateway in UI - I cant select it and it's not used in preview and is causing the issue.
Refresh works fine, seems to be a bug in edit mode, major bug, since I cannot change anything now as saving is impossible

nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

I merged these two questions into one as they were duplicated

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

jjberrio
Frequent Visitor

Hi all,

I have a datafow in Power bi service that import a folder (with csv files) from my local machine using the Gateway on-premise standard version. This has been working as a charm until yesterday, where Power Query editor is keeping me asking for 'how to connect', unstopping me from running/editing the query.

I have installed the latest version of the gateway (December).

In my investigation, I have created a new dataflow entity with the windows username & password and it works. I mean, in Power Query I get all the files and run de query normally, and  it creates the data source connection in the gateway configuration.

But, once I save and exit from the Query editor to the workspace and enter again the query editor, I get the message 'Specify how to connect' which it takes me to nowhere, as it does not see the gateway at all and it keeps asking me the same all the time

Any idea o suggestion?

enter credentials.PNG

Specify how to connect.PNG

   tew ay

Data linage.PNG

users.PNG

gateway active.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors