Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Steph_Aust

Sorting of column in Datamart not showing in Desktop Report

I have setup some data in a Datamart, set the sort order for a couple of text columns to another numerical column. When connecting to the datamart with the Desktop app the sort order is not showing up. It is the same when connecting to the data using the web based app. It seems that this feature of the Datamart is not working and there is no ability to adjust the sort order in the report (web or desktop)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Steph_Aust

I was using a Pie Chart and just wanted the text names to be displayed in a specific order. I have done this in the past using the desktop app. In the desktop app i would create a dimension table that had the text values and the sort order. Then i would create a relationship between the dimension table and my fact table. 

I have not been able to get this to work the same way in the Datamart. In the Datamart i had three different fact tables that i wanted to conect to the Dimension table. When i setup the dimension table and created the relationships it would only work properly for one of the fact tables and give me an error when i was trying to setup the relationship in the other fact tables. 

In the end I have updated my queries in the datamart to get the sorting column as part of the Fact tables rather than trying to create a relationship to a dimension table. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Steph_Aust

I was using a Pie Chart and just wanted the text names to be displayed in a specific order. I have done this in the past using the desktop app. In the desktop app i would create a dimension table that had the text values and the sort order. Then i would create a relationship between the dimension table and my fact table. 

I have not been able to get this to work the same way in the Datamart. In the Datamart i had three different fact tables that i wanted to conect to the Dimension table. When i setup the dimension table and created the relationships it would only work properly for one of the fact tables and give me an error when i was trying to setup the relationship in the other fact tables. 

In the end I have updated my queries in the datamart to get the sorting column as part of the Fact tables rather than trying to create a relationship to a dimension table. 

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Steph_Aust ,

What visual you are using? Can you share some screenshots?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors