Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

caantjes
Frequent Visitor

Sort on multiple columns

I have several reports created where it would be nice to sort on multiple columns.  For example (1) number of orders decreasing year and month or (2) seqenced by weeks the number of tickets for each department in decreasing volume.

Part of this want is that the multi column sort is very flexible in MS Excel

Do we need to put this on a request list or is this possible and I just missed it ?

Thanks !

7 REPLIES 7
StewartHunter
Frequent Visitor

I think the idea you are looking for is here.

claudiobr
Regular Visitor

I kinda cheated this by creating a new column called "order" that represents exactly the order by I want.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @caantjes,

What do you mean about sorting on multiple columns? Can you share a screenshot for us to understand the requirement clearly?

Currently, in Power BI Service, to sort columns, we can only click the sort button. See:

q1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun

It would be in your example to sort the territory groups in DESC alphabetical order and the territory region in ASC alphabetical order. You would define subsequent sorts on colums to allow for either reading.  In MS Excel more advanced configuration is available.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks.

Corne

Hi @caantjes,

Do you mean you want to get a feature like Custom Sort in Excel? Currently, in a table visual, we need to set sort order for each column one by one. For your requirement, please post feedback and vote on this idea item: Custom Sort Lists.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You would want to post that to Ideas if it is not there already.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi,

You can do this easily on the Query Editor, just rightclick - sort the first column you want, and then do it for the second column you want to sort. You can see the M formula created, to check if it looks like something you've intended.

Oops- I didn't realize this was Service forum 🙂 I think it should still be possible since technically an M query is running there

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors