Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lassuied Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sort A to Z impossible

Hello, 

I am having an issue with sorting an axis for my chart... It is sorted by default Z to A and when I click it again it changes the sorting for amounts ... I cannot have my months to start by 01 like I use to... is it a desktop bug?

Thank you !

default sort.PNGdefault sort 2.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Frequent Visitor

Re: Sort A to Z impossible

For information, I tried it on an older version from a coworker and it's working perfectly fine. The newer version has a bug.

Thank you for your help !

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Super User
Super User

Hi there, first question is your COD_Period column data type set to Whole Number?

If it is, then when you want to change the Sort Order, you actually have to click on the Z to A on the actual icon, and not on the name for it to then sort A to Z

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
"Proud to be a Datanaut!"
Power BI Blog
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

HI @lassuied,

Maybe you can try to add a category column for current group, then modify 'sort by column' properties to change its sort order.

Sort by column in Power BI Desktop

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin Sheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

For learning resources/Release notes, please visit: | |
Frequent Visitor

Hello ! Thank you for your reply, the months are not stored as numbers (because I need the 0 as first character between January and September).

What I do not understand is that I've never had the issue before, when I was clicking on A to Z it was sorted Z to A and when clicking on Z to A it went back to A to Z ... 

I aslo have the same issue for amounts ... Something changed in the new desktop version... Below is a screenshot of a chart made few month ago ...  Now if I am trying to sort by month it messes up everything ... I am just trying to report a bug ... 

example.PNG

Frequent Visitor

Hello Xiaoxin, 

I am just trying to report a bug from a newer version of Power BI. I was  able to do this sorting before with no issue. Now I cannot do it anymore.

Frequent Visitor

For information, I tried it on an older version from a coworker and it's working perfectly fine. The newer version has a bug.

Thank you for your help !

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

Thanks for letting us know

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
"Proud to be a Datanaut!"
Power BI Blog
swise001 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I'm experiencing the same issue as well. 

I am unable to achieve a sort of A to Z on any Chart features.... only Z-A works. 

This appears to be from the May 2018 update.  

Sort.png

swise001 Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

I opened an issue about this.  Please go vote it up so Microsoft is aware of the problem. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Cannot-Select-A-gt-Z-Sorting-in-Chart-Visualizations-May-201...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Ask Amir Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event No. 2 – Ask Amir Anything

Next in our Triple A series: Ask Amir Netz questions about the latest updates, features and future.

October 2019 Community Highlights

October 2019 Community Highlights

October was a busy month in the community. Read the recap article to learn about some of the events and content.

New Solution Badges

New Solution Badges

Two waves of brand new solution badges are coming! Read the article for more information on our new community badges.

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Analytics in Azure virtual event

Experience a limitless analytics service built to ingest, prep, manage, and serve data for immediate use in Power BI.

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 1,145 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: