Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NV
Advocate I
Advocate I

Something not right when sharing to outside users

During the summer months there has been some updates to the service that seem to have affected the ability to share to users outside of the tenant. Before, we have been able to succefully share to outside users (our clients) the progress of projects etc., but lately there seems to be re-occurring problems with sharing.

There is no row level security enabled in the reports and no pro version features have been used (also, both parties do have the pro version). The problems happen from multiple tenants that I have access to and is not limited to specific email addresses or users. It seems to be a legit bug in the system, because we are not the only ones with similar problems.

If you are having problems with sharing, please comment, so that the PBI-team can better trace the problem. 

This is one of the errors: 

You don't have access to this dashboard

This invitation contains dashboards, reports, or data outside your organization that cannot be viewed
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Activity IDfab0507c-4f05-462c-988f-cfa4b8673dc5
TimeThu Aug 18 2016 22:21:57 GMT+0300 (Suomen kesäaika)
Correlation ID7f64c2a1-20c5-2217-072d-11a7c1bc3cd0
Version13.0.1605.328

9 REPLIES 9
factgasm
Helper II
Helper II

Had the same problem, fixed by adding the administrator as a user; blogged about it here: http://lookatyourdata.co.uk/2017/02/27/power-bi-you-dont-have-access-to-this-dashboard/

Expect what you inspect - look at your data

@factgasm Can you clarify a few things for me here.

Was this from a Group Workspace, or personal workspace?

If a Group Workspace, were you not the admin/owener that created it?

Just trying to see if you're scenario fits exactly with drifter's above or when this presents itself.

Thanks

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer; it was a Group workspace and I was the admin.
Expect what you inspect - look at your data
drifter565

Hey All,

I had a similar issue but was able to resolve it. It's a pretty specific case but may help you find a workaround. Here is a description of the scenario and the workaround. Hope it helps!

Dashboard was loaded to a distinct workspace that was created when the project started. Although I am an admin on this workspace the owner of any given workspace is created using a mock email address of the workspace name and virtualized in Azure AD. PBI allows admins to share dashboards in a workspace but it looks like it actually doesn’t grant access to users outside the organization. In order to get around this I had to give myself direct access to the dashboard with sharing permissions on and then, using the link in the access granted mail, re-grant any outside domain user.

Onyxsteve

New to Power BI.  I am having this same issue and need to discover a solution to support a client's needs. 

Error message I received:

You don't have access to this dashboard

There was an error processing the invitation
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity IDa86504a3-f016-46ff-977a-eb99c4d13d71
TimeFri Sep 09 2016 10:06:08 GMT-0600 (Mountain Daylight Time)
Correlation ID2a9cc58d-53f4-0936-23f7-1ff1bae7498d
Version13.0.1605.477

JocelynLu
Regular Visitor

I'm also having problems with sharing my Dashboard with individuals "outside of my organization". The Share button is grayed out until I type an e-mail address, and then it only becomes clickable if the emails are people within my organization.

For people outside of my organization, this error pops up "One or more emial addresses are outside of your organization", and the Share button remains grayed out. 

I'm using the free Power BI service, and I'm sharing to indivdiuals that are also only using the free version. 

@JocelynLu just one the note of "For people outside of my organization, this error pops up "One or more emial addresses are outside of your organization", and the Share button remains grayed out." this is standard feature where it gives you warning but still lets you share.

@ankitpatira; Unfortuntely the Share buttom remains grayed out and un-clickable. It does not allow me to share.

@JocelynLu It "could" be related to this issue here, but if you feel it is different - be sure to add it to the issues forum here.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors