Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jshutters
Resolver I
Resolver I

Some visuals not rendering correctly this week in some browsers

Issue Summary: Some of my visuals have recently changed spacing in the Power BI Service, even when I haven't touched the report. See screen shot for the before & after. Notice the % amounts (3 matrix visuals) and volume $ amounts (matrix visual) have become more compressed in spacing/padding (sort of shifted up).

Screenshot_5.jpg.pngScreenshot_6.png

What has changed? Last week, I published the report to the Service, and the visuals had been perfectly aligned to those thin blue threshold lines (background image). See "before" screen shot. Then this week 2/19/2020, I applied a windows software update and this rendering issue with spacing started to occurr. Don't know if coincidence or not. Note, the report was not re-published and not touched this week. See "after" screen shot.

Which browsers?
+ On Wed 2/19/2020, I observed the rendering issue on IE (version 11.1039.17763.0) and Chrome (version 80.0.3987.116) and Power BI Desktop (version 2.78.5740.841 Feb 2020).
+ On Thur 2/20, I observed the rendering issue only in IE with no issue in Edge (version 80.0.361.57) and Chrome and Power BI Desktop.
+ Today 2/21, I observe the rendering issue in IE, Edge, and Chrome with no issue in Firefox (version 73.0.1) and Power BI Desktop.

Here's a screen shot of the windows software update I applied this week:

Screenshot_7.png

My guess. Did Microsoft change the rendering engine recently which adversly affects certain spacing? Am I seeing the affects of hotfixes during this week? This will soon become an important issue for me as this report will be viewable by external customers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Here's a followup on my issue, and I'd consider it resolved.  I worked with the MS Support team, and we found that when I uninstalled Power BI Desktop and reinstall it, then the rendering issue became consistent between the Desktop and the Service.  I still had to touch up the spacing within many matrixes to make the values aligned again, but the important part is that they are consistent between Desktop & Service.

I have still have no explaination for why the spacing rendering suddenly changed for me on Wed 2/19/20 or why my Power BI Desktop suddenly became inconsistent with the Service.  I have a working fix, and I'm moving on.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-gizhi-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi,

Could you please tell me which visual you have used that occurred this issue?

Best Regards,

Giotto Zhi

To answer your questions and to give you more context of this design, I'm using all standard out-of-the-box visuals. Let me break it down for you with screen shots. I start with a background image with my static elements. Then I add several standard matrix to display the % and $ values from the database (with the matrix's Values-Show On Rows set to On). Then I add a standard Line & Clustered column (combo) chart to show the YTD value from the database. I've designed it this way to minimize the number of visuals used and to maximize performance of the report loading.  It has worked well up until last week.

screenshot10.pngscreenshot8.pngscreenshot9.png

To get back to my issue of why the spacing has recently changed in certain browsers... it's still an issue today. The issue occurs with spacing of the standard matrix visuals. It's going live in a few weeks to hundreds of users as an embedded report.  I'm going to open a support ticket with Microsoft and try to get to the bottom of it.

Here's a followup on my issue, and I'd consider it resolved.  I worked with the MS Support team, and we found that when I uninstalled Power BI Desktop and reinstall it, then the rendering issue became consistent between the Desktop and the Service.  I still had to touch up the spacing within many matrixes to make the values aligned again, but the important part is that they are consistent between Desktop & Service.

I have still have no explaination for why the spacing rendering suddenly changed for me on Wed 2/19/20 or why my Power BI Desktop suddenly became inconsistent with the Service.  I have a working fix, and I'm moving on.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

HI there

Is this a custom visual that you are using?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors