Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cyber81
Frequent Visitor

Snowflake-based project update via gateway

Hello,

I have issues setting up gateway to automatically update Snowflake database-based project. I fill in all required fields yet still get an error. Please see screenshot below.

Thank you for your help,

Jiri
asdf.png

13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

So why are we installing On-Premise Gateway? I want to connect to Snowflake directly. I installed On-Premise Data Gateway and I added a Snowflake data source to: https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/gateways/. The 'Test Connection' button indicated the connection was successful. However, I'm still receiving a message to install a personal gateway. 

Activity ID05f8ecfd-c379-4cb0-b030-d803b84074be
Request ID7dff757c-1cf9-11bc-e6cb-ab737b1e2356
Correlation IDb136ecb4-50bb-7e9c-f5bf-24f43b8ae1b8
TimeWed Jul 26 2017 17:06:25 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
Version13.0.1930.145

Yes, I absolutely agree, connecting directly to Snowflake would make much more sense 🙂

@Cyber81 @Anonymous

Accodring to July Feature Summary, on-premises data gateway is needed for the Service connection to Snowflake. If you prefer to connect to Snowflake directly without any gateway, You can create an idea in https://ideas.powerbi.com.

Best Regards,
Herbert

I created an idea here: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/20446081-connect-to-live-data-in-...

I have had all kinds of trouble getting the PowerBI.com service to recognize my Snowflake datasets so that I can refresh them through the gateway. If anyone at MS has time to help me debug I would love to help.

I'm running into similar problems. There needs to be a well crafted Data Gateway server configuration document. I've received guidance from one Microsoft contact that suggested we install the ODBC driver on the server and, then, add an ODBC Data Source Type rather than a Snowflake Data Source Type to the Data Gateway connections. In which case, I'd ask what is the point of the Snowflake Data Source Type? A member of my team suggested we should ask about the JDBC driver, but there is not guidance on where to place or how to install this driver on the Data Gateway server.

Cyber81
Frequent Visitor

Issue resolved.

The problem was eventually solved by:
1) uninstalling the gateway
2) rebooting PC
3) re-installing the gateway
4) removing the data source from PBI service
5) adding new data source to PBI service using snowflake warehouse name as database name

Thanks to @v-haibl-msft for help!

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Cyber81

It seems that you've already resolve the original problem by re-installing the 64 bit version Snowflake driver. You only need to register the on-premises data gateway with correct server and database name.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Cyber81
Frequent Visitor

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Cyber81

Could you please help collect the fiddler traces during register your Snowflake instances in the “Add Data Source” page within the Power BI Service?

Best Regards,
Herbert

Cyber81
Frequent Visitor

@v-haibl-msft
Hello Herbert,

actually yes, I have done so. I have downloaded both new version of PBI Desktop (2.48.4792.481) and Gateway (14.16.6390.2). PBI Desktop Snowflake connector is production version, not beta. In PBI Service I can see an option to add Snowflake database (which wasn't there before July) and the screenshot above is from adding credentials using this source.
Previously (this June) I was able to connect to the same Snowflake database using ODBC connector and it worked fine.
Anyways, does it really need to connect through Gateway? I was hoping PBI Service would connect directly to Snowflake database.

Thanks for any other comments,
Jiri

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Cyber81

Have you downloaded the latest on-premises gateway? According to this blog, after you install this month’s Gateway update, you will be able to register your Snowflake instances in the “Add Data Source” page within the Power BI Service.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Cyber81
Frequent Visitor

asdf2.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors