Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pulendar
Frequent Visitor

Snowflake Data Masking implementation in Power BI

Snowflake Data Masking implementation in Power BI: Has anyone implemented Snowflake data masking implementation in Power BI.

We did implement the SSO with Snowflake, about to do a POC with data masking functionality using Snowflake Policies. Has anyone implemented this? Are there any additional things to configure in Power BI other than SSO setup?

Regards,

Pulendar.

8 REPLIES 8
partha_syd_bank
Regular Visitor

HI, facing the same issue, has anybody figured out how to implement the masking policy?

When I use Power BI service, the data is always masked. 

Shabyman2
Frequent Visitor

I can assume if one is connecting from PBI Desktop > SF that it will use the masking policies for the credentials used to connect to it?

However I guess simplifying the question is that I am a developer and i can see X, but once i publish i may have end users who can see X, Y & Z? Can the masking follow into PBI so different users see different things?

Has anyone had any luck?

Facing the same issue too. I have use Power Bi to perform a scheduled query to snowflake where the data is cached. The query uses the Sys Admin role, and thus all data returned to power bi is unmasked. Now I would like to allow certain users with privilleges to view unmasked data and some to view the data as masked.

I have enabled sso in snowflake and i believe that it should be able to inherit the column masking properties to mask the data in power bi. So far, I am not able to make this happen. Is there any way to overcome this?

pbi_Ad

I implemented it just now. I don't know if this is what you meant. I connected power bi to snowflake and logged in using snowflake credentials for a user which was setup to unable to view full data(masked user) and it worked and then I closed that power bi window and logged in again but this time with snowflake login details for a user with full access to data and it worked.

When you publish that report to Power BI Service, 1st and 2nd Users should be able to access the report and see the data according to their access level. Like User1 should see data as **** and user2 should see the actual data from the database. like 999-100-00 etc.

pbi_Ad

Hi, I tried doing it. I masked data in snowflake than created a user with access to data but with masking policy applied to see if that same user connects snowflake to power bi than does the data stay masked but found out that it doesnt work. I am hoping I was wrong and maybe someone finds out a way to make it work but can't find any other documentation online to say it works. 

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Pulendar ,

Unfortunately, I did a search and didn't find any details about this and I doubt its feasibility in Power BI.

We hope that other experienced users will share their advice with you, and we look forward to your fen'xi when you have inspiration.

Best Regards

Lucien

Sure Lucien, thank you.

Let's keep this open until we receive any response from gurus. If not until one of us gets hands on extersize on it.

Thank you,

Pulendar

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors