Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Slow SAP HANA dataset refresh over Gateway (with scheduled refresh)

Hi all,

there is something I can't get my head around.

Situation as is:

*We have a dataset with a single SAP HANA view as a data source (and two other functions/queries). Refreshing this query with Power BI Desktop only takes about 7 to 8 minutes to fully import the data.
*We have succesfully installed latest Gateway version (July) on a seperate VM (4core - 8gb ram), added SAP HANA odbc connection and administered the data source correctly in the online service.

Problem:

If we do scheduled refresh of this dataset in the service, it always takes about 20 minutes for it to finish succesfully. What is strange, is that I noticed that the query towards SAP HANA only kicks in about 10 minutes after the selected time for scheduled refresh. I noticed this by carefully observing the Gateway logs.

What is absolutely strange, is that when I execute an on demand refresh (instead of scheduled) of that same dataset, it only takes about 7 to 8 minutes to complete - meaning the query towards SAP HANA kicks in immediately.

Can somebody explain this?

Many thanks!!
3 REPLIES 3
lousegers
Resolver I
Resolver I

@Anonymous ;

We're facing a similar performance issue here.

5m refresh in Power Bi desktop resolves into a 25m refresh through the data gateway.

Any updates on this topic? 🙂

velusekar
Frequent Visitor

I am also having this issue, i can strip down my reports to 1/10th of the size and hana still takes the same amount of time to refresh our SAP team are making views specifically for each report but this seems like a silly work around

TeigeGao
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

It looks like that it is a performance problem, I would suggest you opening a ticket at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,

Teige 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors