Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

XUETechPowerBI

Slow DirectQuery Report due to limited queries executed by Data gateway

Hey, Genius

As the Subject mentioned, i am suffering unknow reason slow reports response time.

Below is the basic information and senario.

License                       : free license(upgraded to Pro for evaluation)

Report Type               : DirectQuery

Query Detail               : select from hundred thsuand table and group by to around 100 records

Simutaneous Refresh : around 10 reports refreshing at same time

Response Time          : for longest around 1 minute( when refresh alone, around 6 second)

Performance counter:

number of queries executed: 1 ~ 2

(the requests sent from Power BI were executed one by one, not simutanesouly)

CPU                                      : 2~4%

Memory                               :almost unchanged

So what is problem for data gateway not executed request simutaneously????????

I have searched around for a while but no clues at all. And I see the Number of Queries Exected on some site shows hundreds.

May the license caused this phenomenon?

3 REPLIES 3
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@XUETechPowerBI

When refreshing dataset, a query is created by Cloud Service and send it to the queue for gateway to process, then push the requests to Azure Service Bus. So it will resolve the request one by one, not simutanesouly. For more details, please see: On-premises data gateway in-depth

Regards,

@v-sihou-msft Thanks for replay, after some tests, i found the reason of slow report is at DB side thourgh Data gateway seems process request one by one.

You pointed out the request is resolved one by one because this is how Azure Service Bus's queue works wihch makes me wondering the potential maximum queue size and how many requests data gateway fetches per second.( The log seems data gateway changes fetching frequency dynamically).

Hey, Genius

As the Subject mentioned, i am suffering unknow reason slow reports response time.

Below is the basic information and senario.

License                       : free license(upgraded to Pro for evaluation)

Report Type               : DirectQuery

Query Detail               : select from hundred thsuand table and group by to around 100 records

Simutaneous Refresh : around 10 reports refreshing at same time

Response Time          : for longest around 1 minute( when refresh alone, around 6 second)

Performance counter:

number of queries executed: 1 ~ 2

(the requests sent from Power BI were executed one by one, not simutanesouly)

CPU                                      : 2~4%

Memory                               :almost unchanged

So what is problem for data gateway not executed request simutaneously????????

I have searched around for a while but no clues at all. And I see the Number of Queries Exected on some site shows hundreds.

May the license caused this phenomenon?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors