Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

omacoder
Helper II
Helper II

Sloowwwww Reports

Just recently, maybe around Dec 12th timeframe, the reports in PowerBI service have been taking an exceptional amount of time to load.

Before: a report and all widgets would load in 2 seconds.

Now: a report isn't finishing loading until about 31 seconds.

We're connected to SQL Server live premise data source via the gateway.

There's no CPU contention on the server.

First thing I tried was upgrading to the latest version of the gateway.

(Note, even after upgrading to the latest version of the gateway, Manage Gateways in PowerBI Service still shows a message that the gateways are out of date... very odd).

We are not using PowerBI Premium.

All reports were built in PowerBI Service, on top of a model published from PowerBI Desktop.

Therefore I can't really refresh the report in PowerBI Desktop to compare performance times, as there's no PBIX of the report to open via Desktop.

Ideas on where to start troubleshooting?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @v-easonf-msft thank you for your input. I have resolved this.

The issue is that a database moved servers and I was not notified to update the connection in the model, nor update the gateway.

Once this connection was fixed, the performance of the reports returned to normal.

I cannot believe that having a bad connection inside of the model slowed the performance down this badly!!! Seems like this would be considered a defect, not as designed.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi , @omacoder 

Reports can load slowly for a number of reasons. Such as inefficient report designs,insufficient capacity resources,high concurrent report usage etc.

If  all reports in the same area load slowly ,it is likely that the  PowerBi service was degraded(This should be an intermittent problem).

If individual reports load slowly, please consider whether  dataset or the report model  need to be optimized.

In addition , I recommend browsing the following article for more details about why reports load slowly .

url :https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-capacity-optimize#best-practices

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello @v-easonf-msft thank you for your input. I have resolved this.

The issue is that a database moved servers and I was not notified to update the connection in the model, nor update the gateway.

Once this connection was fixed, the performance of the reports returned to normal.

I cannot believe that having a bad connection inside of the model slowed the performance down this badly!!! Seems like this would be considered a defect, not as designed.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors