Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Slicer value not Holding

Hi All,

I have a Report with a slicer value ( a, b, c, d, e). I have selected a slicer value (Ex: A) and pinned the KPI to the dashboard. 

Now when I click on the tile on the dashboard (Which is pinned by applying slicer value A) it takes me to the underlying report but it is not holding the slicer value (A). It is showing whatever the last used slicer (Ex: If someone last used that report with slicer C). It used to work earlier but suddenly it's not working anymore.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there

When you pin an item to a dashboard it remembers the filter when it was pinned to the dashboard.

When you click on a dashboard tile, it will remember the last state you had in your report and not the state of the dashboard tile.

The reason (I personally think) behind this is because the report keeps your last viewed state. And the dashboard keeps the state it was pinned as a tile.

So the reports and dashboards are mutually exclusive (meaning that they do not keep each others settings once they are pinned (Dashboard) or viewed (Reports)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi  @Anonymous ,

Yes,I agree with what is said by @GilbertQ ,dashboard is just like a cover of your reports,what is shown on dashboard wont influence the actual reports,it is just a snapshoot of your reports,when you go to reports via dashboard,you will see the actual status of the reports.It may be same with what you see in dashboard,but may be different.All depend on the actual status of your reports.

Hope this make sense.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @GilbertQ  & @v-kelly-msft for the detailed explanation.

But I am wondering, if this is the behavior of Dashboard and Report how come it worked for me earlier? It used to work as I expected, with the most recent update I am seeing this kind of behavior.

Thanks,

Abhilash

Hi @Anonymous ,

Yes,it has always been the behavior,I never see that the filter will pass through the dashboard.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Hi there

I have always seen the reports and dashboards behave in this manner. Not sure what has changed to be honest!

Power BI Blog

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

Can you make sure under the report settings you have configured the persistent filters have been applied per users.

image.png

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@GilbertQ  I have tried with Persistent Filters and still no luck.

To simplify:

Slicer values: A, B, C

Selected Slicer value A and pinned tile to the Dashboard A

Selected Slicer value B and pinned tile to the Dashboard B

Selected Slicer value C and pinned tile to the Dashboard C

Now,

IF I go to Dashboard A and click on the tile it takes me to the Report but Slicer value C is showing (Since it was last used by me to pin). What I am expecting is Slicer Value should be A.

Thanks in Advance

Hi there

When you pin an item to a dashboard it remembers the filter when it was pinned to the dashboard.

When you click on a dashboard tile, it will remember the last state you had in your report and not the state of the dashboard tile.

The reason (I personally think) behind this is because the report keeps your last viewed state. And the dashboard keeps the state it was pinned as a tile.

So the reports and dashboards are mutually exclusive (meaning that they do not keep each others settings once they are pinned (Dashboard) or viewed (Reports)

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors