Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

Slicer clearing

I have a report where I keep several items pre selected on a slicer. I cannot use the report level filter because, for some reason, it arbitrarily selects a percentage of items to list. The problem isn't that a slicer must be used, I really don't mind the slicer. The problem is, when adding new selections it randomly clears a portion of those who were already selected. This is a list of our vendors (around 281 total) and we highlight about 25 - 30 to monitor. If I add five more, the slicer will go from having 30 selected to having about 22 selected plus the one I just clicked. There is no rhyme or reason and it is never the same ones dropped. It is very frustrating to have to go back through the entire list to find what was dropped and add new ones. Any suggestions?

I am reporting this as a bug but as my past few interactions with the support system have been very slow, I am hoping someone here has some insight as well.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

4 REPLIES 4

@kcantor "Adding new selections" - does this mean just clicking on options, or how are you adding them? Is there additional filtering you are doing on the slicer to get the top 30?

You could also post on the "Issues" forum if you are pretty sure it's a bug. Definetely sounds weird.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/360879-issues

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer,

I have about 281 Vendors. At any given time we are actively watching about 20 - 35 of them. I create a slicer for the vendors (281) and then select 25 to watch. Later, I go back to add more to the display of watched vendors so in the slicer I select 5 more. When I click the first new one to add, I lose 5 or so of the ones that were previously already selected. I am not filtering to get a top selection. We make a manual selection using the slicer by checking the box by the vendor name.

I have tried using the filter to filter the report down to those vendors but the filter does not always show all 281 choices.

I have submitted a ticket but will share this in the forum you suggested as well.

@kcantor Sounds like a bug... The only other thing I'll mention is have you tried re-creating the slicer? I've seen weird things happening when visuals were changed from one visual to another, or filters that were applied to an old visual impacting the existing... might be worth checking to see if re-creating works. (you may have done this already)

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer, Yes, I deleted and recreated the slicer. I have also tried multiple slicers. The only consistenecy is that it loses some of the selections when you add more.

I will update this when I heal back on my ticket.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors