Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Tatmel
Frequent Visitor

Slice filter doesnt apply to Export to PowerPoint

Hi All,

I faced with following issue by trying to export my data to PowerPoint from powerbi.com

My report consists with 10 pages. On each of the page I am using different slicers for filtering my data in the visuals.

When I am trying to export filtered by slicers report to Power Point, it generates file where the visuals are represent data without any filters. It makes such export useless for presentation.

Please have a look and share your experience with that.

Kind regards,

Tatiana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Tatmel

I cannot repro the same issue on my side. The exported PPT can retain the slicer selection and data is filtered in the visual. Please refer to the video below and let me know if there is any difference between our repro steps. Please make sure that you've saved your report after you select something in the slicer.

BTW, In-session interactivity such as highlighting and filtering, drill-down, and so on, are not yet supported when exporting to PowerPoint. The exported PowerPoint shows the original visuals as they were saved in the report.

Best Regards,
Herbert

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
TimotheeTH

The problem you have may come frome the "Persistant filters" option.

For the users to export the Current View with the selected slicers, you want to uncheck the box 

"Don't allow end user to save filters on this file in the Power BI service"

TimotheeTH_0-1697117633409.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is happening again since 11/12/19 that when exporting to PowerPoint the user filters are not being adhered to and just shows unfiltered.

Very concerning all the Power BI bugs, I've totally lost trust in this product!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue. Users are selecting the category they want to view the data with and then when it exports it is a completely different categories data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got off the phone with the Power BI support team about this issue (not their fault - just due to how long it takes to export to PowerPoint from the Service). 

If you are still having this issue, even after the Feb. 14th update/fix described here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/end-user-filtered-export-capabilities-now-available/ it might be due to having a custom visual in your report. I had a report that no matter where I published it (my workspace, premium appspace, etc.) or what I did (different browers, new look on/off, cleared cache, etc.) it would not recognize my filter selection. Once we deleted all of the slides with custom non-certified visuals and the export finally worked. 

Sadly now I will have to redisgn the report with certified visuals. 

@Anonymous  it looks like you experienced this same issue recently... this could be the cause?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous 

Not the case for me. All my visuals are stock Power BI. So, that doesn't make much sense.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has the problem being fixed? We noticed that when exporting data into PowerPoint via Apps, the filter is not function as user can see all data.

laurajj419
Regular Visitor

There is new functionality in PowerBI, so this works now:

First, apply your desired filters to the report.  Then, create a bookmark.  Next, go to Reading View and view that bookmark.  Finally, export to PowerPoint.  When you export to PowerPoint, it will export that bookmarked view with filters applied.

Hi

I am trying to get this functionality to work but with no success.

I have created bookmarks (filtering several report pages) and then apply these to the report.  When I download, to powerpoint, non of the filters are applied.

Is there a trick that I am missing??

This is not working for me, can you please share a video?

Thank you

Tatmel
Frequent Visitor

Hi Herbert,

It works fine now! My issue was that I didn't save the report before I sent it to PowerPoint!Smiley Happy

Thank you for the solution!!!

Kind regards,

Tatiana

@Tatmel -thanks for posting this issue. This is something I am also facing and solution provided by @v-haibl-msft is flawless.

However, this leads to another issue which I encountered recently. My PBI reports do not have filters inside the report body (unlike the video was shown by @v-haibl-msft )and we control data filters based on the right-hand side ribbon based Report Level Filter.

Does PPT extract behave the same way with this filter too? If not, what is the workaround to this? Also, these reports are built using PBI Desktop client and published. I don't see any "Save" button after applying the filter but "Save As" button is there. What I'm missing here?

Superdelucs
Frequent Visitor

The same issue when exporting data to Excel from both the cloud as Power BI Desktop. All my filters are overruled by the export function, while the pop-up screen tells me all filters are kept. 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@Tatmel

I cannot repro the same issue on my side. The exported PPT can retain the slicer selection and data is filtered in the visual. Please refer to the video below and let me know if there is any difference between our repro steps. Please make sure that you've saved your report after you select something in the slicer.

BTW, In-session interactivity such as highlighting and filtering, drill-down, and so on, are not yet supported when exporting to PowerPoint. The exported PowerPoint shows the original visuals as they were saved in the report.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Hello Herbert,

Thanks for the video.

The given solution works only for users who has editing previllages to the reports.

We got few reports which shared by another team, and would like to export those into image/powerpoint.

Since it is shared reports, we dont have edit access.

Is there any way to tackle this scenario.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

VK

Whilst saving the report and then exporting is a mutli step work around, it is not a user inutative solution.

If you change the filter on the report and see the changed data being displayed, you would expect that the "export" would export that data to Powerpoint.  

Having users "save" each time they change a filter to a poor solution.

Getting visuals out of PowerBI is a real issue, as in many instances you have to include a single or a number of visuals into a non-PowerBI report, like a submission and the like.  Exporting a entire dashboard is not a targetted solution.  Added to this you cannot export more that 15 pages ro Powerpoint is a big headache as well, if you have a detailed report and only want to export a few pages or visuals.

I'm having the same issue and the users that need to export to Power BI but do not have the option to edit or save, nor do I want the to.  I agree that the export should reflect what current filters have been selected.  It should look like what you see on the screen! 

I certainly hope they can fix this!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Has any one found the solution for this issue for users with read rights only? 

I have a users that is trying to filter a hand full of reports and export the data into PowerPoint but it is not working.

I was able to reproduce the error. 

Did you manage to find a solution for users with read rights only? I have the same issue...

Saving the report after changing filters is not an option in Apps.  This is a major issue with export to Powerpoint in my opinion.  We have a sales presentation that we want our entire sales organization to use for customer reviews.  We need to deploy the report to them through an App so that we can control the content, but we need them to be able to select filters and export to Powerpoint.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors