Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Aetius

Single value visualization

I have seen in dashboard examples visualization with single values. Which visualization should I use to depict single values?

3 REPLIES 3

@Aetius

The visuals you see in most samples are derived from using the Q&A feature. For instance, typing in "Total Sales" or something to that effect on your data set will produce the visuals like below. If your data set doesn't support Q&A you can use a "Card" visual. Typically, I'll set my data in a table, then filter and do what i want, remove the other columns to just leave my total and change the visual to a Card type. It gives you a similiar look to the sample below.Capture.JPG

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Hi!

Thanks for your reply.

I especially created an excel page with 2 columns, namely, month and sales. I tried visualizations and what I got was the "Month count" as a single value (which I did not select), but no TOTAL SALES. Furthermore, the months were now all mixed up and did not seem to follow any particular relation between month and sales; why this "reordering"? I have no idea. I wanted to post the dashboard or at least attach it to this message but was not able to find the option to do so.

It is unfortunate that this app is not user friendly. I am also testing SAP LUMIRA which is easier to work with and also has predictive analytics options

I would not know how to introduce the "Q&A feature" you mentioned.

I think this app may have extraordinary possibilities and would really like to master it. If it would only be a bit more user friendly....

@Aetius

Couple things I'll mention. It sounds like some of your issues relate to how to set up you model, creating and using measures, etc.

First, I would suggest you load your data into Power BI desktop so you can add measures/create an actual model. Once in there you can get your total sales by creating a measure like Total Sales:= SUM(<TableName>[sales])

Drop this measure on your workspace and make it a card visual

The Q&A feature is applicable to only certain data sets/sources. So in the example image, you can see the text box above the dashboard that says "Ask a question about the data on this dashboard" - this is where you would say type in something like 'What are my total sales" and it would show you a visual that you could pin to your current dashboard.

I would suggest you spend a little time browsing all the different areas here : https://support.powerbi.com/ as you will find a wealth of information on how to use the tool.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors