Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

wjeanes
Advocate III
Advocate III

Since September update Export to PDF shows gridlines around tables and buttons

Since the recent update exporting a report to PDF (which we do regularly fro a number of reasons and has alwasy had great results) looks terrible.

• All tables now show full gridlines regardless if these are actually used in the report (we generally don't, so the look and feel is a mess).  That being said some tables are then missing the bottom gridline which makes the whole thing look incomplete and even worse.
  • Gridlines on all CellsGridlines on all Cells
  • Incomplete bottom row on tablesIncomplete bottom row on tables
  • All buttons now show a fine border around them even though this option is deactivated and again completely spoils look and feel.
  • Borders around buttonsBorders around buttons
  • Some tables that fit properly in the report, have scrollbars in the PDF export.
  • Each report page has a thin border which was never the case.

Were these changes intentional and if so is there somewhere we can adjust these settings becuase the PDF export used to be exactly the same as the report onscreen buit this is definitely no longer the case.

10 REPLIES 10
concertandy
Frequent Visitor

Having the same issue as this user did 3 years ago.  Ever get a solution that works?

Erroneous Lines.jpg

Unfortunately not, I ended up going into each table and manually setting the gridlines to zero (they're on 1 by default and turning them off doesn't work) and changing the colour to white.  It's not ideal but works for the way we style stuff.

Total rows we use a fill to hide the "unfinished" bit as mentioned in my original post and as far as the buttons go we use the page or bookmark navigator options now which negates those issues rather than using individual buttons.

This is just part of our set up process now but it was a huge hassle to have to perform this exercise across all of our legacy reports at the time and as far as I can tell nothing has been done to fix it since.

v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @wjeanes 

Does a similar situation occur with other browsers?

You can also try downloading to local and then exporting on PowerBI Desktop.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

Tried on Chrome (the one I normally use), Edge and even IE, same results.  Also tried the download option although this is not ideal as it happens with all of our reports, some of which are massive and while the borders on buttons disappear, the borders stay on some aspects of the tables like row and column headers but not on value cells.

Regardles, for some reason none of the "Export to PDF" options/workarounds export the reports as they look on service anymore which is the problem.

Hi,  @wjeanes 

So far, no more useful topics and solutions have been found. You'd better open a support ticket with MSFT to check if it is a known issue.

Best Regards,

Would love to but it won't allow me to.  Getting a "User not in directory" error. 

I'll just keep fingers crossed that the next service update corrects this issue becuase static reports that need to go out to clients are looking terrible right now.

Hi, @wjeanes 

This issue has been submitted internally.(Internal ICM ID: 266934564
The problem is under investigation, please be patient for that.

If there is any news, I will update it here.

You can also keep an eye on this thread.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Thin-lines-appearing-within-PDF-export-of-report/m-p/212713... 

Best Regards,

Thank you so much, I really appreciate you pushing forward with this.

Hi, @wjeanes 

According to the information I have received so far, Microsoft Engineers cannot reproduce the problem, so the investigation has been at a standstill.

Have you checked the actual printed result of the pdf ? Do the same gridlines appear after the .pdf is printed?
It may be a display problem caused by incorrect rendering of the PDF viewer application.

If your problem is still not resolved, you may need your powerbi administrator to open another support ticket  to  let engineers look into the issue on your side.

Best Regards,

Hi Eason

I've tried two PDF viewers (we use Nitro Pro and Acrobat) and same issue occurs in both but in any case where these are reports being shared with clients, we can't control which PDF viewer they use so the issue needs to be addressed (and bear in mind that this is something new that has only started happening since the end of September).

In a previous reply you also mentioned that related problems had been raised in another thread https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Thin-lines-appearing-within-PDF-export-of-report/m-p/212713... and was apparently replicated.

I'll reach out to our IT team and ask the to log a additional fault on my behalf.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors