Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sign in Options for Reports Embedded in Website With Row Level Securtity

Dear Power BI Community,

At our company we have the following situation regarding sharing our report and I as we are new to Power BI we were wondering what the best solution would be.

We created a single report and want to apply RLS (Row Level Security) to create user specific dashboard. This dashboard is embedded in the portal of each user and is thus behind a login wall. This report contains sensitive information and should only be visible to the user after logging in.

Our current problem is that we do not know how to add the report to the portal of our users without having them create a seperate Power BI account, which would require them to manage 2 accounts, personal and Power BI, and login twice when accessing the dashboard.

Our ideal solution would let the users keep their current personal account for our website to login to the report embedded in our website and let us create RLS based on their personal account.

Would this be possible and how would this look like?

Our wished in short:

1. Allow customers to use their personal account to access the Power BI dashboard
  2. Allow us to apply RLE based on the customers personal account
  3. Allow us to manage the Power BI licensing, making it invisible to our customers

Thanks in advance for any tips and recommendations!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

I don't think you will be able to do what you want with "standard" Power BI licencing. Using  "Pro" or "PPU" licences require the user to authenticate on to Power BI so that Row Level Security knows who the user is and what level of access they have. This doesn't work with any "Single Sign On" system that I know of.

However what I think you need to look at is Power BI Enbedded. This address your scenario of embedding Power BI functionality on your own web site, managing user authentication and security.

See Power BI embedded analytics overview - Power BI | Microsoft Docs Specifically the section on "Embed for your Customers"

Hope this helps

Stuart

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Burningsuit

Thank you very much for your reply, this was exactly what I was looking for.

Your link even redirects to an embedded example with RLS.

Kind regards,

Mark

Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @Anonymous 

I don't think you will be able to do what you want with "standard" Power BI licencing. Using  "Pro" or "PPU" licences require the user to authenticate on to Power BI so that Row Level Security knows who the user is and what level of access they have. This doesn't work with any "Single Sign On" system that I know of.

However what I think you need to look at is Power BI Enbedded. This address your scenario of embedding Power BI functionality on your own web site, managing user authentication and security.

See Power BI embedded analytics overview - Power BI | Microsoft Docs Specifically the section on "Embed for your Customers"

Hope this helps

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors