Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

janisCNH
Frequent Visitor

Sign in Error

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with signing in into Power BI since May. I had contact with the microsoft support but I don´t get an ansewer anymore. I hope that somebody in the community might help me.

Attached you can see a screenshot with the error. It says that I could not sign in because the account is invalid.

It would be really nice if somebody could help me. For me it would be enough to get a briefing for our ICT desk or so but I cannot wait to use Power BI again!

Kind regards,

Janis

new Problem 2.JPG

12 REPLIES 12
iltsoft

i have same error my account is personal but with domain of the company, @iltsoft.com And it is not possible to log in, other microsoft service work fine (azure, onedrive, etc) with the same account

I have the same problem, I need help asap... 

rick

I have a similar sign-in error, 

Something went wrong.
Please try again later.
TECHNICAL DETAILS
An unknown error occurred. If you continue to see this error, please provide the following information when requesting support.
Date and Time: 2016-10-03 14:43:53Z
ActivityId: f71243fc-ed5d-4946-975e-66d4638b2ec4

It seems to be difficult to request support unless you are the Office 365 administrator. 

Can anyone help? 

Yes - I too was able to sign in until sometime this past fall.  We don't use O365 at my company and I confirmed with our IT department that we don't have O365 sign ons.

I have tried the following steps, but I still no longer can log in with my company email address or even request to change my password (I just get notified that the email address isn't recognized).  I tried to set up my account over again with no luck.  Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated.

Here is a step-by-step recreation of the issues I am facing with Power BI Desktop and webservice in signing in.

• Issue: Unable to publish project time data from Power BI Desktop to Power BI on the Web due to inability to sign in any longer.
  • Using Company email address which has worked in the past 6+ months.

Issues trying to Sign in when publishing from PBI Desktop using the forgot your password link

• After loading the PBI Desktop File, called TimeKeeper.pbix (478 KB), when I go to publish to the web, I click the Publish button (see below)
  • I then get this dialog box:
  • I enter my work email address that I have used since signing up for the PBI service:
  • I then click the Sign In button and get the following dialog box:
  • I then enter my PBI Desktop password and click the Sign In button:
  • I get the warning “We don’t recognize this user ID or password”:
  • I click the link for Forgot your password below:
  • I then get the following dialog box. I enter the characters in the picture and click the Next button:
  • I then get the following dialog where it has a “loading spinner”, however it just hangs and never completes (I let it run overnight on 2/22/2017 and it was still spinning in the morning):

Issues trying to Sign in when publishing from PBI Desktop using the Can’t Access Your Account link

• I have also tried the following procedure as well:

After loading the PBI Desktop File, called TimeKeeper.pbix (478 KB) When I go to publish to the web, I click the Publish button (see below)

• I then get this dialog box:
  • I enter my work email address that I have used since signing up for the PBI service:
  • I then click the Sign In button and get the following dialog box:
  • I then enter my PBI Desktop password and click the Sign In button:
  • I get the warning “We don’t recognize this user ID or password:
  • This time I click the link for “Can’t access your Account”:
  • I then get the following dialog box. I enter the characters in the picture and click the Next button:
  • Again, I then get the following dialog where it has a “loading spinner”, however it still just hangs and never completes:

I have also tried to sign-in at https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/

• Finally, I have also tried to go to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/ and click the Sign In link at the top of the page:
  • I then get the dialog box below, and I enter my work email and my password and check the “Keep me signed in” box.
  • Once I click the Sign In button, I get the following dialog box, where I click the “Forgot your password?” link:
  • I then get the following dialog where it has a “The user ID you entered does not exist. Please check that you have typed your user ID correctly.”
  • This is the same work email that I have always used with Microsoft Power BI. Not sure why it is showing it doesn’t exist. I click cancel where I am taken back to the Sign In page where I click the link “Can’t access your account?”  It takes me through the same steps as above and indicates that my User ID doesn’t exist.

Unable to re-register my account

• I have also tried to re-registering my User ID/email by going to https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/ and clicking the link for “Sign up free”:
  • I get the following options. I have tried both options. Removing and re-installing Power BI Desktop for windows doesn’t see to work.  I have also clicked the Sign Up button as shown below:
  • I enter my work address in following dialog box and click the Sign Up arrow:
  • I get the following notification:
  • I then open up the sent email and click the “Yes, that’s me” button. I then am brought to the following webpage and I fill in my First and Last Name and enter a new password:
  • I then get the following page that indicates that something went wrong:

• If I click the “OK, got it” arrow button, I am actually logged in to my work space, but without the latest data from the PBI Desktop, and I am still unable to sign in from the PBI Desktop with my work email address and new password. From here I am stuck!

I have a similar sign-in error, im not using 0365 my accout is personal @iltsoft.com

I'm having the same error as you do.

Tried signing up using first my work mail:

Capture.PNG

after clicking "sign in", it says it doesn't recognize my work account. Tried using my personal mail and I can't see anywhere how to finish the sign-up process.

janisCNH
Frequent Visitor

Here are the steps he told me to do.

I have done all the tips from the first mail except for using another browser because my company doesn´t allow other browsers than internet explorer. As I tried the last tip their was the same error like before.

The things from the second mail didn´t work as well on my computer because I am not the administrator.

Thanks for your help!

From the first mail

•  Are any other users having this issue?
  • Please clear your web browser cache and test.
  • Please test in a different browser.
  • Please test in InPrivate browsing.
  • If you have an Office 365 account, please verify if you can log into Portal.office.com.

From the second mail

Here a few steps to assist you in turning off Windows Security credentials prompt: 

1. Make sure you have selected Home group as your active network.
  2. Open Control Panel window
  3. Select Network and Sharing Center

iii.                Under View your active networks

1. Select Home network

1. Turn off Password protected sharing. Steps to follow
  2. Under Network and sharing Center
  3. Click on Change advanced sharing settings

iii.                Expand Home or work

1. Under Password protected sharing, Turn off password protected sharing

1. Set credentials password as blank. Steps to follow:
  2. Open Control Panel,
  3. Click User Accounts and Family Safety

iii.                In the left pane, click Manage your credentials.

1. Click Add a Windows credential.
  2. In the User name and Password boxes, make sure user name and password is blank.

@janisCNH It sounds like it worked at one point, and now it doesnt? Does your company have an office365 account set up? I'm assuming you used your company credentials to sign in originally here?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

You are right. It worked untill the beginning of May!

Normally we have an office 365 solution. I also had to insert the log in data of our company for signing into power BI. After that the error popped up.

@janisCNH 

Did you sign up originally in Power BI with your @company.com email extension? Or did you sign in with a different account?

If you have issues with logging in to your Office 365 environment, then this isn't just a Power BI issue. It sounds like something is wrong with your Azure Active Directory... Did your IT department change something in May?

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Sorry for the delay!

Yes, I used my normal company email adress.

Okay, that might be possible. I think that I just show them the tipps you gave me and hope that they have a solution for me!

Thanks for your help so far and I will keep you updated if I get any news!

@janisCNH Did MS support give you any ideas of how to resolve the issue? Can you list out things you have tried so we don't repeat possible things to try?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors