Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kibosh
Frequent Visitor

Siemens WinCC OLE DB Provider

Hey all,

We want to create reports from process archives generated by the SCADA system "Siemens WinCC". These are values that are stored in a SQL-database but in segmented and compressed form. To read out the values we need to use "WinCC OLE DB Provider" which is installed by the Siemens software. This works fine from for example the "SQL Import/Export wizard". There you can select it through a dropdown and do the rest. I also got it working in Excel trhough a "ADODB.Connection" in VBA.

Now I'm wondering how I can make PowerBI connect through this "WinCCOLEDB Provider"? When I try through an "OLE DB" connection, I can't select it. When I type it myself, it gives the error that the provider is not registered. 

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Kibosh
Frequent Visitor

Figured it out (sort off)

I had PowerBI x64 installed and my Excel is 32. Removed PowerBI and installed the 32bit version. Guess WinCC only works with 32 bit

Now it works.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Kibosh
Frequent Visitor

Did some more research but still no luck in Power BI.

In Excel I could create a connection using "Power Query" with following:

let
    Source = OleDb.DataSource("provider=WinCCOLEDBProvider.1;data source=ECJ-P010\WINCC;catalog=CC_HMI_7HI6_19_10_08_16_05_47R;mode=Read", [Query="TAG:R, (1; 2; 3; 4), '0000-00-00 00:30:00.000', '0000-00-00 00:00:00.000'"])

in
    Source

Also figured out how to make this exactly in PowerBI but I still get the error: 'The 'WinCCOLEDBProvider.1' provider is not registered on the local machine.'

How come Excel has no issue but PowerBI can't connect? 

Any thoughts?

Kibosh
Frequent Visitor

Figured it out (sort off)

I had PowerBI x64 installed and my Excel is 32. Removed PowerBI and installed the 32bit version. Guess WinCC only works with 32 bit

Now it works.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors