Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Showing the formula of a hidden measure

I have a report on a shared workspace that I downloaded, and I need to modify the formula of a hidden measure, but I can't seem to make it display, how do I go about it ?

Best regards,

Nossair

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

That might be because the pbix is not the owner of the dataset. The hid option is just for avoinding it to show for self service. It won't prevent the modification of the formula. Try to reach the original dataset, the one connected to data and not to power bi service. That dataset would show the formula of all those measures and will let you modify it.

Regards

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @Anonymous, As @ibarrau mentioned you will not be able to modify the measures while using a shared dataset from Power BI service; you will only be able to do that in the original dataset. 

You can add new measures if you are aware of the underlying data model and structure but again these measures will be local to your report file alone and will not be visible to other users building reports from the  shared dataset. Hope this helps! 

Please mark the post as a solution if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks! 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @Anonymous, As @ibarrau mentioned you will not be able to modify the measures while using a shared dataset from Power BI service; you will only be able to do that in the original dataset. 

You can add new measures if you are aware of the underlying data model and structure but again these measures will be local to your report file alone and will not be visible to other users building reports from the  shared dataset. Hope this helps! 

Please mark the post as a solution if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks! 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi! There is a problem here. You will only able to modify the measure in the pbix file that was created. If the measure was created in the origin of the shared dataset, then you can only modify it from that dataset and you won't be able to modify it from your pbix connected to the shared dataset even if it's not hidden. If the measure is in the pbix connected to the shared dataset you can modify it, you should see hidden items.

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi ibarrau,

When downloading the .pbix, I can see the value of the measure in a visual, I can see it grayed out in the fields list, and I can see the formula of the non-hidden measures, but I cannot see its formula.

Regards,

Nossair

That might be because the pbix is not the owner of the dataset. The hid option is just for avoinding it to show for self service. It won't prevent the modification of the formula. Try to reach the original dataset, the one connected to data and not to power bi service. That dataset would show the formula of all those measures and will let you modify it.

Regards

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors