Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dparkinson
Advocate I
Advocate I

Showing percentage column chart from count?

Hi,

I have a user using Power BI "Service" (NOT DESKTOP) so that they can connect to their Sharepoint online hosted spreadsheets and keep their reports refreshed.  As far as I understand it, it's not possible to use Desktop in this scenario which I know would do this easily.   Therefore my question is specifically related to Power BI Service through a browser.  I do not want the user to have to install the Personal Gateway either.

I'm really hoping this simple functionality isn't actually missing from the Service and that I'm just missing it somehow.

I have a field that shows statuses, of which there are three.  At present, the column chart shows these statuses as a count.  What the user would really like is to see the statuses as a percentage of the total statuses.  

I can kind of do it with a pie chart (eurgh), but even then the percentages aren't shown unless you mouse over the pie segment.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

D.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@dparkinson Unfortunately just by using powerbi service you won't be able to get percentage of a column. You would need data modelling part to calculate percentage which is not there in powerebi service yet. Best solution for this kind of scenario is to use powerbi desktop to build reports / dashbaords and then deploy to powerbi service. 

If you download latest powerbi desktop (april 2016) you will see it has connectors for sharepoint folders and sharepoint online list and i guess you could use few others as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@dparkinson Unfortunately just by using powerbi service you won't be able to get percentage of a column. You would need data modelling part to calculate percentage which is not there in powerebi service yet. Best solution for this kind of scenario is to use powerbi desktop to build reports / dashbaords and then deploy to powerbi service. 

If you download latest powerbi desktop (april 2016) you will see it has connectors for sharepoint folders and sharepoint online list and i guess you could use few others as well.

Thanks. That's what I thought re PowerBI Service.  

I wasn't aware of the update in Power BI Desktop for connecting to SharePoint folders.  That seems to work, although connecting to the folders isn't very pretty and you then don't get SharePoint online updating either -- you have to configure separately.

So, whilst not perfect, the user seems to be comfortable with it and is happy to play around with Desktop. 

Many thanks for the response.

D.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors