Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AadDijksman
Regular Visitor

Showing dashboards times out after 2 hours?

Dear Community,

Not that experienced with PowerBI (and English not my native language) I want to share a problem I experience. A range of dashboards is loaded in an browser (I-frame, OWL carrousel) and shown to the department on a big screen. After 2 or 3 hours the sign-on message appears and when clicking the dashboards are shown again. No screensavers, discontinuing usersettings and right and no time-outs are defined in the browser/environment so maybe it is something which is triggered by the PowerBI service? As far as I know PowerBI does not know any timeout settings which is asked for by some in the community, but could it be that there is some sort of disconnection happens after 2 or 3 hours?

We tried on other devices, other browsers, but still the same reaction.

So I am a bit lost and hopefully you can think along what causes this?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Aad Dijksman / The Netherlands

8 REPLIES 8
HashimAsaad81
Frequent Visitor

Hi ohheynnuh  ,
I have the same problem ." The Report after about an hour, I think the session times out and the Sign On screen shows up again - this time just clicking the Sign On button shows the report again " . Did you Find a soulation for this Problem ? 

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

Could it possibly be a setting on your Azure Active Directly that has been set to ask to log in again every 2-3 hours?

Possibly chat and ask your Office 365 Admin or your Azure Active Directory Admin?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Gilbert,

Thanks for the reply. I will check and will give update soon.

Kind regards,

Aad Dijksman

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello - did you manage to find a solution to this issue? I'm currently encountering a similar situation and problem & trying to find a solution!

Thanks!

Vicky

Hi there

What browser are you using where you are getting the issue from?

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi GilbertQ,

We have embedded a report with a DirectQuery connection into a webpage that has JavaScript set to refresh the page at 5minute increments. Issue one we can't get around is the PBI Sign On page - as we cannot get access to the report token, I think due to the fact the data is DirectQuery we cannot publish to web to access this information. Issue two, which is more of a problem, is that after signing on, the report will then sit on a display screen refreshing according to the schedule - however - after about an hour, I think the session times out and the Sign On screen shows up again - this time just clicking the Sign On button shows the report again - there is no need to reenter credentials. This second problem is much more of an issue for our organisation, as we wish this report to be self sufficient with no human interaction! Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Hi ohheynnuh ,
I have the same problem ." The Report after about an hour, I think the session times out and the Sign On screen shows up again - this time just clicking the Sign On button shows the report again " . Did you Find a soulation for this Problem ? 

Hi there

If you are using Power BI Embedded, this will be because the token is only available for 1 hour before it expires.

I am no embedding expert, but I would suggest looking for an alternative solution for this?

Possibly a way to automatically refresh the access token via the embedding API?

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors