Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kylechapin
Frequent Visitor

Show Today's date on report

Hi there,

Pretty new to Power BI and I'm having a few troubles. 

One of them is getting the date on my report.  Nothing fancy, just todays date and refreshed every time the report is accessed.  I would guess to use "=today()" but I don't know what visual to use.  I've tried several but either they just write the text "=today()", or they don't allow me to enter any text without any table data.

This seems like a common simple thing.  What am I missing?

Thank you in advance!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hey,

if you are new to this measure thing start here

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-measures/

Basically measures and also calculated column are calculations added to your data model, from a very superficial view one can say that calculated columns are expanding the tables in your data model, and behave like any other column in your table. Measures on the other hand are calculations that "lay on top" of the tables.

You have to be aware, that currently it is not possible to add measures to the data model from within the service. This means you have to use Power BI Desktop to add the measure to one of the existing tables (I would recommend to use a separate date table, if one exists in your model). After you added the measure following the explanation from the link above, you have to republish the dataset to the service. In the model pane you can also specify a display format.

Now you can go to the service, open the report, switch to edit mode, add the card visual and drag the measure to the value field of the visual.

Hope this gets you started!

Regards

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @kylechapin

See attached screenshot.
createMeasure.jpg

Under the "Home" tab and "Calculations" ribbon there is a button to create measures.

In that measure you can paste the text "NowDatetime = NOW()" wich will create a measure with te name "NowDatetime" that shows you the current datetime using the NOW() function.

You can also right-click a table in the fields pane and choose new measure if you want.

Put this measure on a card and the card will display the date and time.

Also, i can recommend reading the tutorial for creating measures.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-tutorial-create-measures/

Regards
Max

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
DavidVarisco

Why not provide an answer that really works!

TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

create a measure like so
NowDatetime = NOW()

and use this measureon a card visual.

Hope this helps

Regards
Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Yeah, sorry... no it doesn't.

I have no idea what "create a measure" means.

If I create an empty card, I can't put anything in it like a title or otherwise to enter "NowDatetime = NOW()"

Screeenshot?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @kylechapin

See attached screenshot.
createMeasure.jpg

Under the "Home" tab and "Calculations" ribbon there is a button to create measures.

In that measure you can paste the text "NowDatetime = NOW()" wich will create a measure with te name "NowDatetime" that shows you the current datetime using the NOW() function.

You can also right-click a table in the fields pane and choose new measure if you want.

Put this measure on a card and the card will display the date and time.

Also, i can recommend reading the tutorial for creating measures.
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-tutorial-create-measures/

Regards
Max

Hey,

if you are new to this measure thing start here

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-measures/

Basically measures and also calculated column are calculations added to your data model, from a very superficial view one can say that calculated columns are expanding the tables in your data model, and behave like any other column in your table. Measures on the other hand are calculations that "lay on top" of the tables.

You have to be aware, that currently it is not possible to add measures to the data model from within the service. This means you have to use Power BI Desktop to add the measure to one of the existing tables (I would recommend to use a separate date table, if one exists in your model). After you added the measure following the explanation from the link above, you have to republish the dataset to the service. In the model pane you can also specify a display format.

Now you can go to the service, open the report, switch to edit mode, add the card visual and drag the measure to the value field of the visual.

Hope this gets you started!

Regards

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors