Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

AndreaLee1212
Helper I
Helper I

Should I go for P2 or P1 is enough?

Hi everyone

I'm trying to get help with some pratical example if, someone can explain, when a company should go for P2 instead of P1 without making tests ... like "one clear shot".

When a large company decide to purchase PowerBi Premium, enough capacity needs to provisioned to support the workloads. 

Calculating how much capacity is needed is based on multiple parameters like the specific data models used, the number and complexity of queries, the hourly distribution of the usage of your application, the data refresh rates and other usage patterns that are hard to predict. 

But in fact after having all this information on my side how can I translate that info to number of cores ?

Thanks in advance,

Andrea

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @AndreaLee1212 

I might be wrong on this but I recall reading it somewhere in past, but as a general rule for premium capacity:

There are capacity limits on the number of concurrent refreshes, set to 1.5 x the number of backend v-cores, rounded up.

It looks like this limit was there earlier but has got removed now with Premium Gen2(I hope you are going for Gen 2 only), please go through this documetation which will clear your doubts:

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/powerbi-docs/blob/live/powerbi-docs/admin/service-premium-what-is.m...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
nitishsh91
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @AndreaLee1212 

There are several factors that can determine whether a company should choose Power BI Premium P1 or P2. One key factor is the number of users that will be accessing the reports and dashboards. P1 is designed for small to medium-sized teams with a maximum of 8 concurrent users, while P2 is designed for larger teams with a maximum of 20 concurrent users.

Another important factor is the complexity and size of the data models. P1 is suitable for smaller data models with less complex queries, while P2 is designed for larger and more complex data models with more demanding queries. P2 also offers more advanced features such as row-level security and dataflow management.

Another factor to consider is the refresh rate and data freshness. P1 allows for 8 refreshes per day and P2 allows for 48 refreshes per day, so if your data needs to be updated frequently, P2 would be the better option.

In terms of cores, the number of cores needed will depend on the number of users and the complexity of the data models. As a general rule, the more users and the more complex the data models, the more cores will be needed. However, it's important to note that Microsoft does not provide specific guidelines on the number of cores needed for P1 and P2. It is generally recommended to start with a smaller number of cores and scale up as needed.

It's also important to note that load testing is a good way to determine the number of cores needed for your specific use case. By simulating the expected usage patterns and monitoring the performance, you can get a better idea of the resources needed to support your workloads.

Hi @nitishsh91 ,

Many thanks on your detailed information. Can you help understand where you get the info about concurrent refreshes (8 for P1 and 48 for P2) as well as concurrent users (8 for P1 and 20 for P2)?

All the best,

Andrea

Hi @AndreaLee1212 

I might be wrong on this but I recall reading it somewhere in past, but as a general rule for premium capacity:

There are capacity limits on the number of concurrent refreshes, set to 1.5 x the number of backend v-cores, rounded up.

It looks like this limit was there earlier but has got removed now with Premium Gen2(I hope you are going for Gen 2 only), please go through this documetation which will clear your doubts:

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/powerbi-docs/blob/live/powerbi-docs/admin/service-premium-what-is.m...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors