Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

sturlaws
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Sharing with customers

Hi,

We have a set of reports we want to share with out customers. We plan to use AAD B2B to add guest users to out tenant, and provide them with Pro-licensences. However, when our licensing department talked to Microsoft they were told the following, in short:

Powerbi.com is part of Office 365 and is under a no commercial hosting model e.g. you cannot use it to host a BI solution for customers. To do that you must use Azure Power BI embedded.

Microsoft agrees that many companies do this and that we are ok to do for a short time but under any form of audit this will be raised and flagged as out of compliance. They also indicated that their audit department has been instructed to start clamping down on this area of use.

I can't find anything reject or support this statement, anyone who help me clarify this?

thanks,
Sturla

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I contacted some good friends that I know at the Microsoft Power BI team, and they indicated to me that the Power BI tenant would not be part of an Audit.

Which means that you can then share the reports with external customers. As long as the customer has a Power BI pro license (either their own, or one that you provision) they would be correctly licensed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

I contacted some good friends that I know at the Microsoft Power BI team, and they indicated to me that the Power BI tenant would not be part of an Audit.

Which means that you can then share the reports with external customers. As long as the customer has a Power BI pro license (either their own, or one that you provision) they would be correctly licensed.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

great, thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors