Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jhayes32

Sharing to Group not working

I am having an issue sharing a dashboard to a Group. I can share to an individual, but to a group is not working. I am wondering if it has to do with having multiple domain names associated with the account?

I am signed into Office365 with myname@mycompany.com. The default domain name is mycompany.onmicrosoft.com.

So I created the group in PowerBI - PowerBIShare

- The associated mailbox created is powerbishare@mycompany.onmicrosoft.com 
- In Mail configuration for Groups, I set "Let people outside the organization email the group" and "Subscribe new members so they receive group conversations"
- If I try and share dashboard to this email address, it says it is shared, but if you open on the "shared with" tab after sharing, it does not show up
- No email notifications are received that says dashboard was shared

I could share to an individual mycolleague@mycolleague.com and at mycolleague@.onmicrosoft.com

When I tried sharing to powerbishare@mycompany.com, 
 - This DOES show up in the "shared with" tab but...
- No email notifications are received that says dashboard was shared
- If I email to powerbishare@mycompany.com, it bounces back

Is PowerBI confused by domain names or something??
4 REPLIES 4

@jhayes32 - I have to ask what the goal is in sharing a read only dashboard to a group workspace? The action of sharing is pretty thoroughly explained here and states in many areas that sharing is with a colleague. So, my assumption is that it is "by design" that you can't share with a Group. That being said, if it "can" be done, I would assume you would need to treat the Group that was created the same as a User (I don't know if this can be done in AD off the top of my head) - but if you can, than I would assume a Power BI license would need to be associated with the Group email...

In a nut shell, what your asking isn't supported to my knowledge.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

There are numerous articles and instructions on creating a PowerBI group, which is an Office 365 Group, and then Sharing a dashboard to the  Group. The usecase is, we have a few designers who are creating Reports and  Dashboard for end user consumption. The end users are not given access to the Dataset. Some groups may have access to change the dashboard. I may have a large group of end users that I want to share to and I do not want add in individual user emails. Here is main MS link about Sharing Dashboards to PowerBI Groups. https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-how-should-i-share-my-dashboard/ Seems pretty simple, right? But it is not working for me. The email for the group does not even save properly. All the users in the group have Power BI licenses and I can set them up individually.

@jhayes32 I think you're confusing a couple things. Power BI groups are designed for the first part of your explanation ("few designers who are creating Reports and  Dashboard for end user consumption"). The end user "Group" should be an AD group ie. a distribution group that the dashboard is then shared with.

From my understanding you would create a group in AD and put the relevant end users in that group. Then the users in your Power BI Group would share the dashboards with the AD group email address...

That is my understanding of things.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Agree that it confusing. I can email to the Office365 Group created in PowerBI just like a normal distribution group.  When I go into Groups in Exchange Admin Center, it actually says to consider using a "new Office 365 Group". From my understanding, the Office 365 group is like a distribution group but with more options. I will try creating a distirbution group and using that, but if anyone else has feedback, I would appreciate some feedback.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors