Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Thomaslw
Frequent Visitor

Sharing reports with external users

Sorry if this has been posted before but I couldn't find an answer to my problem

I created a report and shared it succesfully with collegues, the problem is that I can't seem to share it the same way with users outside my organization. They receive the email, they can click the link and see the report but the report isn't saved in the "shared with me" container, which means they have to look for the email every time they want to see it. I gave this user access to both the report and the dataset but it's still not working

I already read every Power BI guide about sharing but I still can't make it work, Am I doing something wrong or is it just not possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jcarville
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Hi @Thomaslw , I feel your pain. It's not possible for external users to access it in the shared with me section.

As you said, they would need to click the link in the email to access the report. Alternatively they could bookmark the link/have the link saved in a dashboard tile and access it from there.

You've come across one of the biggest downfalls of Power BI in my opinion.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jcarville
Skilled Sharer
Skilled Sharer

Hi @Thomaslw , I feel your pain. It's not possible for external users to access it in the shared with me section.

As you said, they would need to click the link in the email to access the report. Alternatively they could bookmark the link/have the link saved in a dashboard tile and access it from there.

You've come across one of the biggest downfalls of Power BI in my opinion.

Hi! I agree it's bad that we can't share reports with external users the same way that with collegues. I hope that changes in the future

Thanks for the response

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors