Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hasenclever
Helper II
Helper II

Sharing reports to external via Teams

Hi there,

I am trying to use Power BI and Teams to share reports with external users. I am a Pro User and my workspace has a premium capacity, so I created a simple Report and added to a teams group that has access to the workspace as a Member. Then I added the external users to the teams.

I can use the teams with them and they can see the channels conversations and everything, but the Sheet I added to the Teams Channel, showing the report is giving problems.

I would like to confirm that to have external guests that can see the report on teams I need to:

1. Use mail addresses that are work or school mails. Is that correct?
  2. The guest users need to use there mail address to create a Microsoft account, correct?
  3. Why can I share a Power BI app with individual (non-working) mail addresses but I cannot use it for accessing the report on Teams?

Or is there any tutorials on how to allow external users to see shared reports on teams or App?

My regards,

Michel Hasenclever

Supply Chain Data Scientist

5 REPLIES 5
v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hasenclever ,

Check the reference below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-collaborate-microsoft-teams

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Thanks @v-kelly-msft 

same as aswering @collinq, I have read before the links you send me. Nevertheless, I still haver the following doubts and, I will try to explain wht I have the doubt.

1. Use mail addresses that are work or school mails. Is that correct? The Known issues and limitations says that "Users without a Power BI license or permission to access the report see a "Content is not available" message.". But I have granted access to the report to the user with a personal mail. You see the quoted statment does not say have a power bi license AND permission to access. It says OR. Therefore it is not clear if the external mail account is limited to work and school mail accounts. Is that so?
  2. The guest users need to use there mail address to create a Microsoft account, correct? It is also not clear if the report is shared to a work mail from a user that does not have a Power BI license, would this external user need to create a Microsoft Account with his work mail in order to access? Or just having the work mail and being granted access is enough?
  3. Why can I share a Power BI app with individual (non-working) mail addresses but I cannot use it for accessing the report on Teams? And I wanted to understand

HI @hasenclever ,

Here is my understanding.

1 and 2.

You are correct that two things have to be in tandem - you have to share with an email address that is in Teams team and that has a license to power BI.  If your Teams and network permissions allow for external folks, then this will work for you.  You can share to non-work emails as easily as official work emails.  BUT, the Power BI license has to be in that email address and that email address has to be in the Team.  I have successfully done this with both hotmail (yeah, those still exist) and gmail email addresses.

3.  If your organization and/or Teams setup does not allow for sharing with external and/or not external personal email addresses, then that would limit your ability to get them to Teams.  I think these are two separate things.  The Power BI license is one thing.  The Teams access is something separate.  This sounds like you may have restrictions on Teams that you are not finding in Power BI.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @hasenclever ,

I have found this document https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-share-report-teams .  That article has two separate links in the top paragraph that might be helpful.  There is also a "known issues and limitation" section with some links in it.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Thanks @collinq I have read those links before doing the question here.

Still not sure about:

I would like to confirm that to have external guests that can see the report on teams I need to:

1. Use mail addresses that are work or school mails. Is that correct?
  2. The guest users need to use there mail address to create a Microsoft account, correct?
  3. Why can I share a Power BI app with individual (non-working) mail addresses but I cannot use it for accessing the report on Teams?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors