Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sharing reports and sub-reports to different end users

Hi all,

I am currently working with one version of a report that holds 10 tabs, but in the end this will be divided in smaller reports/dashboards with 2-3 tabs each, depending on the end user that will access it.

My main goal is to have everything centralized, only having to modify one dataset and one report, so all sud-divisions of it are also updated. With this, if have found two problems:

1. If I upload the report to a Workspace, and pin the desired tabs to Dashboards, the main report is still accesible (as it is in the Workspace and there is a link in the Dashboard). And, for some reason, the custom link option is disabled.
  2. PInning the whole tab does not include the tab in the Dashboard 100% as it is in the report (it's adding white margins to left and right, I suppose because of the tabs' proportions), so it is not really working for me with the report as it is.

This end users are either PBI Pro or non-PBI. Also, RLS does not suit for me in this case.

Is it possible to do what I want to do? Both managing only one report to create automatically updated sub-reports and restricting access to them inside a Workspace only to specified users/groups of users, what would be the correct approach?

Regards,

Antonio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous There is no current support for dynamically hidding tabs in the same report. In addition, as you have discovered, there is no process that I am aware of that would allow you to use one report for all these needs. You would need to break it out. You could use the same dataset by using the Power BI Service as a datasource in the Desktop, and in that regard could manage any structural changes in one place, but the reports would need to be seperate.

Also, you mention Pro and non-Pro end users, this also will not work for non-pro users. Every user needs a Pro license at minumum in order for you to share content with them.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

In addition to the good explanation and solution provided by @Seth_C_Bauer on this issue, here is an idea about Page (Tab) level Security. You can vote it up and add your comments there to improve Power BI on this feature. Smiley Happy

Regards

@Anonymous There is no current support for dynamically hidding tabs in the same report. In addition, as you have discovered, there is no process that I am aware of that would allow you to use one report for all these needs. You would need to break it out. You could use the same dataset by using the Power BI Service as a datasource in the Desktop, and in that regard could manage any structural changes in one place, but the reports would need to be seperate.

Also, you mention Pro and non-Pro end users, this also will not work for non-pro users. Every user needs a Pro license at minumum in order for you to share content with them.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the prompt response @Seth_C_Bauer. About managing just one datasource, is it possible working with different workspaces? The idea is to have 1 WS for each user/group of users and, as far as I have investigated, there is no possibility to share datasets among WS.

@v-ljerr-msft A very good and very needed idea, already voted!

@Anonymous Unfortunetly, the partial solution falls to pieces in that instance as the dataset would need to be in the same workspace. Manual upkeep at this time is the only solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors