Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sharing report with external user not working but settings are enabled

Hi all

I had tried to share a dashbaord I created with an external user and was getting an error message. Asked my global admin what the settings were and was shown this screen

global.PNG

Does anyone know what else we need to check as to why I still cannot share with external users?

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous,

This is not an error, just a warning that awares you were sharing dashboards to users outside your organization. Ensure the recipient's email address is correct, click the "Share" button, a "Successfully share" message will be prompted. 

After sharing, those external users won't see the shared dashboards on their worksapce on service. They have to click the dashboard link in email to view dashboard content.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
bajee
Resolver III
Resolver III

Hi 

Please go through this link for extranal sharing

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-azure-ad-b2b

Regards,

Bajee

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

What error message did you get? And what did those recipients see when they opened the shared dashboard?

By the way, with sharing, whether you share content inside or outside your organization, you and your recipients need a Power BI Pro license, or the content needs to be in a Premium capacity. Only your direct recipients can see the shared dashboard. People outside your organization can't see any data at all if role- or row-level security is implemented on on-premises Analysis Services tabular models.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Yuliana

I get the following - I try to share to an external user (who has Pro version of Power BI) and do not get past this screen.

Admin has advised that external sharing is turned on so not sure what's happening

sharing error.PNG

Hi @Anonymous,

This is not an error, just a warning that awares you were sharing dashboards to users outside your organization. Ensure the recipient's email address is correct, click the "Share" button, a "Successfully share" message will be prompted. 

After sharing, those external users won't see the shared dashboards on their worksapce on service. They have to click the dashboard link in email to view dashboard content.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors