Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

crln-blue
Post Patron
Post Patron

Sharing report on Teams but users can't view even though they are also a Pro user

Hello! It's my first time sharing a report on Teams. 

I'm a pro user and I already published the report on my group. I added a new tab on the Teams group and all of the members has a pro license. However, they cannot view my report.

Is there a setup that I still should do? Shoud I still share the report to each of the members? I thought that once I shared the report on the group (given that all members has a Pro license), they can already see it.

Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @crln-blue ,

To use the Power BI tab in Microsoft Teams, ensure these elements:

• Microsoft Teams has the Power BI tab.
  • To add a report in Microsoft Teams with the Power BI tab, you have at least a Viewer role in the workspace that hosts the report. For information about the different roles, see Roles in the new workspaces.
  • To see the report in the Power BI tab in Microsoft Teams, users must have permission to view the report.
  • Users must be Microsoft Teams users with access to channels and chats.

Embedding a report in Microsoft Teams or sending a link to an item doesn't automatically give users permission to view the report. You need to allow users to view the report in Power BI. You can use a Microsoft 365 Group for your team to make it easier.

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. You haven't mentioned adding the users to the workspace. In order to let the users to see they have to be part of the Power Bi Workspace with the reports you want to share. Then you can integrate with teams. First be sure that they can see the reports in Power Bi Service.

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thanks for this @ibarrau !

I thought that once you are included in the group, the workspace is automatically created because under the Workspaces tab, I can see the Teams group that I shared the report with. 

I created a powerbi app in the group workspace and I added a tab in the Teams group and the report I added is from the powerbi app. Will all the pro users in the group automatically see the report (on the Teams group tab)?

Sorry, I was tasked to deploy it asap on production (with executive people, etc).

It's not the same. You can't embed a Power Bi App in teams. You can embed specific reports or each person can create a section to open Power Bi in teams (that's a different thing).

Add the team members on the Workspace like this:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-create-the-new-workspaces#give-a...

Then create the tab in the group chat.

Hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

@ibarrau wrote:

It's not the same. You can't embed a Power Bi App in teams. You can embed specific reports or each person can create a section to open Power Bi in teams (that's a different thing).

Oh yes, I was referring to the latter. Apologies. What I did is, a created a tab in the Teams group and embed a specific report (source is from the powerbi app I made).

My account is a member of the Teams group below. And it's automatically under my Workspaces menu. Does this mean that R group automatically has a workspace right? If I published a report to this workspace, and I added the report in a tab in the Teams group, will all the pro users of the group see it? Thanks!

crln-blue_0-1610994459201.png

I also created a powerbi app in this workspace (or I'm not sure if it's a workspace already) and included a report in the powerbi app. This is what I did in Teams tab, I added a report on the tab and the report is from the powerbi app of the group. I'm not sure if the pro users of the group will be able to see the report.

Also, thanks for the link!

Ok. Publish your report in "R" Workspace. Be sure that the people in the teams channel are in the R Workspace access.

Then embed the reports inside R in the teams tab.

That way they should see it.

My workspace won't let you do a lot of things. Just to clarify something a Power Bi App is a component itself from the portal. If you want to mention the web site it's Power Bi Service. I think you might be confusing those definitions.

Hope it works!

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Thanks @ibarrau ! Will do this and will get back to you. Thank you also for clarifying!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors