Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

adrien5555
Helper II
Helper II

Sharing only 1 tab of a report, not all

Hi All,

On a given report, I have a 6 tabs. My goal is to share only the 1st tab.

Is it possible?

I pinned the tab #1 to make it a dashboard, and be able to share it with workmates. 

But, then they can access all the tabs.

Why do I want to do this?

My workflow is gathering all datasets from a single PBI Desktop file, creating reports, and making it better and better over time. 

The 1st Tab is good enough to be shared, not the 2nd and others which are works in progress.

Any other workflow would be interesting!

Thanks for your help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

After publishing, you can go to the online service and Save As to create a duplicate of an existing report. Then you can delete tabs, add tabs, change visuals, etc. It is still connected to the same data source, so you won't have to set up a separate refresh schedule, and any future updates to the original (re-publishing with new measures for example) will be reflected in any derived reports. So usually when I publish a report, it's primarily meant for a division director or mid-level person who needs a whole bunch of details, but I also need an "executive" version of the same report for the VPs and CEO and whatnot. So I publish the primary report, then Save As "Blah Blah Executive Report" and prune it down to just what they need to see.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SamuelAB
Frequent Visitor

Has anyone found abetter way to do this in an automated way?

I'd like to take a report with 20 pages and split it in an automated manner.

swragg
Helper I
Helper I

You can hide the tabs by right-clicking on it and slected "hide".  When you publish, they are not visible.

adrien5555
Helper II
Helper II

Apparently, this is not possible. 

How do you separate the reports you want to share, and the ones you want to work on / keep private?

After publishing, you can go to the online service and Save As to create a duplicate of an existing report. Then you can delete tabs, add tabs, change visuals, etc. It is still connected to the same data source, so you won't have to set up a separate refresh schedule, and any future updates to the original (re-publishing with new measures for example) will be reflected in any derived reports. So usually when I publish a report, it's primarily meant for a division director or mid-level person who needs a whole bunch of details, but I also need an "executive" version of the same report for the VPs and CEO and whatnot. So I publish the primary report, then Save As "Blah Blah Executive Report" and prune it down to just what they need to see.

@KHorseman : thanks, it looks to be the most appropriate way to do for me as well.

One inconvenient I see, is that as you work on the most complete report, with all the tabs, you will have to redo these operations each time: Save as, Crop down to a simplified version, and Share.

Right?

Still a good solution, as in PBI desktop, you only need to maintain onnly 1 file.

Unless your newly published changes are an extensive makeover that affects the contents of every tab, you do not need to save as and alter each time. When you re-publish the master file, all of its online derivitives still exist. Re-publishing doesn't break them. So if you're republishing because of a relatively minor change like the addition of a new visual or two, I'd recommend just adding the corresponding visuals to the secondary saved-as version by hand after re-publishing the master report. And if it's just a code change you won't have to do anything. Like if you rewrote how an existing measure or column works, for instance. The master report and all the saved-as online duplicates share the same data set, so they all inherit those changes. Most of the inconvenient work just comes from the first time you publish, when you first create those duplicates.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors