Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

aschattopadhyay
Frequent Visitor

Sharing of Power BI Dashboard and User Access

Hi All:

I need some advise on sharing of Power BI Dashboards. So in our active directory we have got a mix of users - some exchange enabled and some other not. Those who are not exchange enabled, have got external email addresses. But they are all part of the same active directory.

When we share dashboard with those users who have got external email addresses, they get notified in those email addresses as expected. However when they sign into Power BI (using the active directory username/password) portal without clicking the invitation, they see the following screen:

pbi.png

If they click on the links in their email, they can sign into Power BI (using the active directory username/password) and see the dashboard. Is this expected? Do they have to click on the link to see the dashboard?

Once they can see the dashboard, I can see the following on the Share Dashboard panel of the Dashboard:

super_return.png

The external email address is still shown as Guest while a new user with a blank ID/name is created that says Can view ....To stop sharing, that blank user needs to be taken off. Any further sharing of other dashboards donesn't need the users to click on the email links anymore. They appear automatically  in their 'My Workspace'!

I am really confused with this behaviour and any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Anindya

4 REPLIES 4
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aschattopadhyay,

>> When we share dashboard with those users who have got external email addresses, they get notified in those email addresses as expected. However when they sign into Power BI (using the active directory username/password) portal without clicking the invitation, they see the following screen.

When they sign in the Power BI Service, which URL do they use? Please let them use the link like this: https://powerbi.microsoft.com to check if the same error displays. 

>>If they click on the links in their email, they can sign into Power BI (using the active directory username/password) and see the dashboard. Is this expected? Do they have to click on the link to see the dashboard?

If you share a dashboard with users outside of your organization, they can only access the dashboard through clicking the link in received email.

>>The external email address is still shown as Guest while a new user with a blank ID/name is created that says Can view ....To stop sharing, that blank user needs to be taken off. Any further sharing of other dashboards donesn't need the users to click on the email links anymore. They appear automatically  in their 'My Workspace'!

Currently, when we share dashboards with people outside our organization, the shared dashboard will not display in their usual Power BI portal. It only work when you share a dashboard to the users which in your organization.

Capture.PNG

Besides, people outside your organization are listed as Guest, the blank user may means the people which in your organization and not set the display name.

Reference link:

Share a dashboard with colleagues and others

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin:

Thanks for your reply. I think I am still not clear about few things as mentioned below:

1. By external and internal users, I reckon you mean people with domain email addresses and people with external email addresses. Am I right? However all users are all part of same Organizational Active Directory.

2. What's special about the url https://powerbi.microsoft.com ? If they are users with external email addresses, does it make any difference?

3. If they can access dashboard only by clicking the link, is that always true? My experience is it is only the first time when a dashboard is shared. Any subsequent sharing of dashboards just appear in their workspace without any need to click the link in the invitation email. Is this by design?

4. Do you mean any guest user will have a presence with a blank name? What if the dashboard is shared with multiple guest users and there are multiple blank entries? If I need to remove one, how will I know which user does the blank entry belong to?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Anindya

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@aschattopadhyay That is actually expected behaviour. Basically in Power BI user with same domain as yours is identified as internal and one with different domain as yours is external. So when you share with user that is of different domain they get a link to the dashboard. They can only see that dashboard via that link and better way is to bookmark that link (when they login to power bi service without clicking on link they don't see that dashboard is by design).

Showing blank user with 'Can View' is something new and I haven't seen before. My only guess is since you have external users in your AD and it gets replicated in azure AD, power bi is recognising them as both internal and external. So on first instance they are able to click on email link and access dashbaord (complies with design of sharing outside organistaion) and when you remove that blank share user, they can access it via their power bi portal (which is by design of sharing with user inside your organisation).

Hi Ankit:

Thanks for your reply. However I have got few more clarifications to make.

1. When you say internal and external users, do you mean users with domain email addresses and users with external email addresses respectively? All the users belong to one active directory, however their email addresses are as I mentioned.

2. It is only the first time that the users need to click on the email link to see the shared dashboard. Any subsequent sharing of other dashboards appear automatically on their workspaces (including the dashboard shared first) without any need to click on the link. So I am not sure what you meant by 'better way is to bookmark that link'

3. Once the user clicks on the email link and see the shared dashboard, the external email address is still shown as Guest while a new user with a blank ID/name is created that says Can view .... To stop sharing, I needed to remove the blank user and not the external email address. The later one remains as Guest (i) Cancel Invite and doesn't play any more role in terms of sharing/stop sharing.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Anindya

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors