Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sharing issue

Hi guys, 

I am trying to share my report to free users in PowerBI. Right now the report is in an workspace in premium capacity.

But after I sent the email and granted access to free users (choose "Send an email notification to recipients" only). They got message ("This content is only available to users with a Power BI Pro license.") that they still need to upgrade their account to pro licence to access it.

I think I could share content in premium capacity with free users.

Any solutions for this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

You are right that content in premium capacity can be shared to free users, with my test everything worked fine. 

For this issue you can try the following:

1. re-check the whether it is in Premium workspace, Setting=>Premium=>Dedicated Capacity

2. make sure the user accesses the report via the link from the received email.

3. Another way could be try invite the user as a guest user from Azure Portal, and add him as a viewer to the the workspace. Please refer to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/whitepaper-azure-b2b-power-bi

Paul Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
mihart
Employee
Employee

@Anonymous,

Have you tried sharing the report as an "app".  From what you wrote, it sounds like you're sharing the report directly, and only the report. Can you try instead to share it as an app?  Make sure that the workspace is hosted in Premium capacity (it will have a diamond icon). Be sure to add the free user's email address to the workspace "Access" screen.    You'll have the option to assign the free user to a 'role' (Viewer, Member, Contributor, Admin).   You can even set the app to auto-install. 

HTH

Michele

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

You are right that content in premium capacity can be shared to free users, with my test everything worked fine. 

For this issue you can try the following:

1. re-check the whether it is in Premium workspace, Setting=>Premium=>Dedicated Capacity

2. make sure the user accesses the report via the link from the received email.

3. Another way could be try invite the user as a guest user from Azure Portal, and add him as a viewer to the the workspace. Please refer to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/whitepaper-azure-b2b-power-bi

Paul Zheng
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors