Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

richard-powerbi
Post Patron
Post Patron

Sharing filters as a base filterset for other reports or datasets

I have searched if there is a way to share personal bookmarks with other users. So far I have not found a way. Below is a workaround method that I would like to share. I am wondering if there is a better way, because it feels a bit cumbersome.

This is my goal:

• I want some users to be able to play around with filters in a report and let others users use that 'base filterset' in the same report or in other reports (also in different datasets).

Limitation:

• I want users to stay out of the PBIX file. So applying filters there is not a preferred working method.

This is a possible, although slightly cumbersome solution I have thought of:

• In a report which has filters to play with, I add a 'simple filter table' with only the columns that are used for filtering.
  • I teach users to apply their filters in this report as usual. When they are happy with their 'base filterset' I let them click 'Export Data' on the 'simple filter table' and save the Excel or CSV file to a specific location.
  • In any report where I want to make use of this 'base filterset', I make a Query with above Excel or CSV file as the source. This Query will make lists, and with these lists I can filter all the reports to the required 'base'.

So far this is the most user friendly way I could think of. But I'm wondering if anyone has better ideas. Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

My solution : I convert Personnal BookMark to Report BookMark

For that : I push the end-user to Contributor (or admin or Member) in the Workspace to enable him to edit the report from PBI Services. Then the end user, can create a Report Bookmark.

Limits : the report bookmark is not automatical updated.

Cheers 🙂 It is my first post to the community

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

I would think for now that is the best way.

Could I ask why the persistent filters do not work for your requirement?

Each person typically will want the data to be filtered for what they want to see and persistent filters allows them to do this.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ do you mean using the filter pane in the PBIX file?

The people that play around with these filters to define a base filterset for everyone else don't have any Power BI knowledge other than using the reports I made for them. I don't want them to open op the PBIX that I carefully designed. 

It surprises me that not more people struggle with this.

Hi there

I typically think that a lot of people actually want to have their own filters set that is why it is designed this way.

What you could do for the reports where you want specific users to make changes to add them to the App Workspace roles (Contributor) and allow them to then make the changes?

All other people can then view the reports via an App?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors