Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bryanshaw46
Resolver I
Resolver I

Sharing enterprise gateway or on premises gateway

I have installed the latest Power BI Gateway and I have configured it.  Now, how can other users connect to their data using this gateway (BShawGW).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi bryanshaw46,

In order to have other users to get use of the on premises gateway, in order to update their own data, the following should be done:

1. Checking connections for the Gateway under Power BI service-Gear->Manage GateWays (under your Browser, once installed, the gateway would show up as connected);
  2. Add the User’s Database or Data sources as a datasource under your configured gateway through Power BI service;
  3. Add the User to the User list, in order to use the data source to create or update report;
  4. Optional, you could also add that user as the gateway admin, which would allow him to manage gateway settings;

For detailed steps, please see the SQL server data source as a reference:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-manage-sql/

If any further questions, please post back.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Jbatth

I've created a SAP BW data source in On-Prem gateway and assigned users to it. Still, those users can not see the data source. Am I missing anything?

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi bryanshaw46,

In order to have other users to get use of the on premises gateway, in order to update their own data, the following should be done:

1. Checking connections for the Gateway under Power BI service-Gear->Manage GateWays (under your Browser, once installed, the gateway would show up as connected);
  2. Add the User’s Database or Data sources as a datasource under your configured gateway through Power BI service;
  3. Add the User to the User list, in order to use the data source to create or update report;
  4. Optional, you could also add that user as the gateway admin, which would allow him to manage gateway settings;

For detailed steps, please see the SQL server data source as a reference:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-gateway-enterprise-manage-sql/

If any further questions, please post back.

Regards,

Charlie Liao

Anonymous
Not applicable

S

Hi all,

Am the admin of Enterprise gateway .

for Example i have created one gateway called SQL gateway for SQL server and i have added user A .

How can user A add other users like B and C  to that gateway.

Please help me here

dimazaid
Employee
Employee

Are you using in it Power BI? If so, go to the Power BI service, and click on "manage gateways". Once you go there you should be able to find your gateway, and start configuring it. Here;s a link that explains how to add a SQL data source to your gateway in Power BI: 

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@bryanshaw46

You as an gateway administrator need to add other users also as administrators. Once done other users can login to gateway app and add their data sources. Also note enterprise gateway has been rebranded as on-premise data gateway though enterprise gateway will continue to work. You should update your instance of EG to on-premise data gateway.

I have a live connection between Power BI Pro and an on-premises SSAS Tabular Data Model. I tried to publish it and I got an error message that says:

Enterprise_Gateway_Error.jpg

I just this week downloaded Power BI Pro as well as the on-premises gateway. I saw nothing about enterprise gateways to download. Clicking on that link to learn more about enterprises gateway takes me here
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/gateway/ 

which is just the link to find out about on-premises gateway. I see nothing about enterprise gateways.
There is something called that from over a year ago in preview, but according to the data on the normal gateway link above, the normal on-premises gateway does live connections to SSAS. So why do I get this error message which prevents me from publishing my report/dashboard and there is no current thing called an enterprise gateway to download?

I hope this has nothing to do with it, and it doesn't make people guess answers, but the live data source is SSAS Tabular model on a SQL Server 2017 RC2 (Windows) and on a SQL Server 2016 SP1 installation.

I have done further scenario testing and have come to the conclusion that live data is busted with Microsoft products. Weak!

It won't due Live (with SSAS Tabular in either 2016 or 2017 versions) and it won't due directquery (with SQL Server tables in either 2016 or 2017 versions).

I can do "dead" data by using the import mode for both SSAS Tabular and SQL Server tables in the 2017 version (so I assume it works with the 2016 products).

This is ridiculous. I can't believe everyone has this problem or the SQL Server and Power BI Groups would be in serious pain. So there must be some set of circumstances we have in our on premises gateway that Microsoft's testers don't have (or that mgmt thought was not important enough to fix).

Someone from Microsoft please contact us about this ASAP.

Further clues to this seriously complicated software to just display a !@# one number dashboard.

In the import to SQL Server 2017 setup, I can't setup refresh frequency because power BI is insisting I setup a personal gateway. Nevermind that the non-personal gateway is running and indicating that it is running fine, connecting to the internet etc.

Just to make sure it wasn't  a 2017 issue, I also did the import from SQL Server 2016 scenario. When I try to setup the refresh schedule I get the same message insisting I setup a personal gateway!!! Argh!!

Thanks, Ankitpaitra, I appreciate your help.  You wrote:  other users can login to gateway app ...  What exactly do you mean?  The PowerBI.com or the desktop app?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors