Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sharing dataset with reports

Hello guys,
I have created a dataset with the query mode of Power BI desktop. This dataset agregates paginated calls to my company's JIRA API. I put a lot of work on it. A LOT ! lol

In my pbix file, I have created different tabs to strat building all the visuals I need.

Let's say my pbix file that contains my dataset has 6 tabs:

• TeamLeads - Dashboard
  • TeamLeads - Bugs
  • Management - Dashboard
  • Management - Portfolio
  • POs - Dashboard
  • POs - Projects tracking

I can publish my pbix to a workspace that will automatically create a dataset and a report with my 6 tabs.

The problenm I have is that those 6 tabs should actually be split into 3 reports. Each reports should be accessible to a different group: the Management of the company, my TeamLeads et the Product Owners.

But I need them to share the same dataset, otherwise I will get crazy maintaining 3 datasets that should be exactly the same.

What I need from you guys is the best practice for my situation.
One dataset => 3 reports available to 3 workspaces.

What do you think? Does it make sense?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally found a solution.

I did what you advised @Greg_Deckler, I created 5 reports that are connected to my dataset in my DEV workspace.

All the visuals that I had in the report attached to my PBIX file have been recretaed in their designated reports.

From that workspace, I have created a content-pack  per report for which I was able to specify the audience.

I wanted to use the workspaces to segment my organization, but the content pack did the job,.

Thanks for your help !

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I can think of a couple ways to do this. What I would suggest is that you create 3 additional PBIX files and use a live connection to your original dataset. Then they will all use the same original dataset (1 dataset) but you will have 3 separate reports. Get Data -> More -> Online Services -> Power BI Service.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Anonymous
Not applicable

I finally found a solution.

I did what you advised @Greg_Deckler, I created 5 reports that are connected to my dataset in my DEV workspace.

All the visuals that I had in the report attached to my PBIX file have been recretaed in their designated reports.

From that workspace, I have created a content-pack  per report for which I was able to specify the audience.

I wanted to use the workspaces to segment my organization, but the content pack did the job,.

Thanks for your help !

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry, but this doesn't work for me at the end.

When I use this solution, I can only use this file in the same workspace as the dataset. Which means that I cannot distribute my repoort to another audience....

Hi @Anonymous,

You can only share different report for different groups, more details, please review this blog:Share Power BI reports with your coworkers.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors