Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jerics99
Frequent Visitor

Sharing data sets

Hi,

What is the easiest way of sharing a dataset deployed as pbix file, I would like my colleagues at my organization to connect to the dataset from Excel at their local laptops over internet and run Pivot tables with the data set in Power Bi Services as external data source. I have tried to share the data by using Group Workspaces but I am not sure if that works, and the users need to buy Pro license as far as I understand?

Is there anyway to share a data set with colleagues that use the free license, for example by Content Packs?

Sharing reports and dashboards, should this be done by using Content Packs?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jerics99,

Content Packs are only available when you and your colleagues have Power BI Pro. Reference: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-organizational-content-packs-intro... .

As you want to share a dataset with colleagues that use the free license, you can copy the PBIX file out to a folder and share the folder to your colleagues, from my point of perspective, this is what smoupre means by sharing. There is no option in Power BI desktop to share PBIX file.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Jerics99,

I am also facing the same challenge of creating a organisation content pack and asking my colleagues to download. 

The downloading portion is successful. Power BI does not seen to allow refreshing the data by my colleauges using their local excel file.  

Did you manage to find a solution to this ?  

Appreciate if you can share the details.

Best

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Hi CheenuSing,

No, but I got the infromation that thsi should be made available during this summer (2016).

Lets hope that happens.

Kind REgards,

-Eric

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @jerics99,

Content Packs are only available when you and your colleagues have Power BI Pro. Reference: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-organizational-content-packs-intro... .

As you want to share a dataset with colleagues that use the free license, you can copy the PBIX file out to a folder and share the folder to your colleagues, from my point of perspective, this is what smoupre means by sharing. There is no option in Power BI desktop to share PBIX file.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Re: Sharing data sets

Thanks for your response Lydia. Buying the Pro licenses is definitly an option, we are allready trying it. However we have not been able to share datasets even with the Pro licenses...?

Background: I would like to let different users in my organization use excel pivot tables using a shared dataset as data source. I have not managed to get that to work though. I have published at Power BI Desktop model to Power BI, but unfortunately I am the only user that can query the data set even though its included in a Group shared with other users....?

For your information. Our initial plan was to set up a virtual machine with SSAS in our Azure instanse, but it got failry expensive so we instead thought that Power BI would be a better alternative.

Kind Regards,

-Eric

Thanks for your response Lydia. Buying the Pro licenses is definitly an option, we are allready trying it. However we have not been able to share datasets even with the Pro licenses...?

Background: I would like to let different users in my organization use excel pivot tables using a shared dataset as data source. I have not managed to get that to work though. I have published at Power BI Desktop model to Power BI, but unfortunately I am the only user that can query the data set even though its included in a Group shared with other users....?

For your information. Our initial plan was to set up a virtual machine with SSAS in our Azure instanse, but it got failry expensive so we instead thought that Power BI would be a better alternative.

Kind Regards,

-Eric

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jerics99

I haven't tested it but think it will work. You should create a report and publish that to power bi service. Then share that report with your colleagues which will give them access to your dataset though they can't see it listed under their datasets. Then they should be able to use Analyze in Excel feature which will let them connect to the published dataset from excel on desktop. Only thing I'm not sure of is if Analyze in Excel feature will be available with shared report since your colleagues won't be the owner of report. You can test this out and let us know.

@jerics99 Unfortunately Analyze in Excel is not available with shared reports. Therefore you won't be able to use the way I suggested. Do as @Greg_Deckler said.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Probably not other than to share the PBIX file if you use Desktop. Group Workspaces are the intended vehicle for that but, yes, you need Pro to use that.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi,

Actually can you  describe what you mean by Sharing, is there an option in Power BI desktop that you refer to? Or do you mean that by just adding the data set to Power Bi it gets avalable for collegues to query?

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors