Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

BobF
Helper I
Helper I

Sharing dashboards with external users

This morning l wanted to try the sharing of dashboards. In such circumstances the first email address l use is my gmail account address. Which allows me to see what the user might expect to see and experience. So that l have first hand experience l can relate to my users. However the gmail.com domain is blocked, which l can understand 😞 My question is what other domains are blocked?

sharing.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Power BI does not currently support sharing dashboards with external users. There is a "Publish to Web" feature for Reports that you can use, but I realize that is probably not exactly what you want.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Hi @Greg_Deckler it does now 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-february-service-update/#externalSharing

Smiley Wink

@BobF hotmail.com is blocked too 

Not sure why domains would be blocked? recipients have to sign up for Powerbi account to view anyway so would have thought MS would welcome the likes of gmail

Alas, my knowledge of the product is sooooo 2 days ago!! 🙂

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Its both exicting and exhausting trying to keep up with all the features the Power BI team are releasing!

That said l remember moaning to the M/Soft staff at SQLBits last year about the lack of a road map for SSRS.  They said just wait, they could not say anything at the time.  Since then l feel like my mind has been blown on a weekly /.monthly basis 😆

Thanks for the reply @itchyeyeballs.

OMG it works !  Oh this is so good 😄

Two lessons learned 

• some domains will just not work 😞 Ok that's a minor downside, which l can understand and accept. So cannot use @gmail.com, @hotmail.com, and some other domains. I'll hopefully get and email TO one of my customers tomorrow to test it with them. As this is the feature which l have been waiting for.
  • Open the links in IE just to be safe. When testing the last step to log into PowerBi crashed when l used Chrome, worked when l used the URL with IE

Does it work for you guys?

I used the follwoing link which you have shared,

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-february-service-update/#externalSharing

but it give em the folwoign error 

"One or more e-mail domains are blocked: "

Thanks

Roomi

Do you get this issue resolved?  What domain where you using for the email address?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors